Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Fairing Speakers Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks. Trying to figure out the differences between the 165 CA1 and the 165 CVX

Old 03-26-2013, 01:36 PM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fightingmajor
Thanks. Trying to figure out the differences between the 165 CA1 and the 165 CVX
The CA1 line has separate external crossovers, the CVX line has the crossover built into the back of the magnet. The CA1 also has the mid bass driver and tweeter separated so that they can be mounted separately (like in place of 2 gauges). The CVX has the tweeter mounted (it is rotatable for aiming the sound) in the center of the mid bass driver. Those are the major differences.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ICIBUY
The CA1 line has separate external crossovers, the CVX line has the crossover built into the back of the magnet. The CA1 also has the mid bass driver and tweeter separated so that they can be mounted separately (like in place of 2 gauges). The CVX has the tweeter mounted (it is rotatable for aiming the sound) in the center of the mid bass driver. Those are the major differences.

Thanks, sounds like the CVX is what I will go with.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Magnus01
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
I was noticing you used the Focal speaker grills. Did you have to modify them to fit? I have a read a couple other threads and also tried to fit my Fosgate Grills. It is either modification time or grill shopping time.

Thank you

Magnus

Old 01-10-2014, 04:25 AM
longrides
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes

I had the boom upper speakers in my RGC and added the boom lower speakers in the lower fairing. Improved and added more sound for less volume dial. I think it was worth it and besides..... it'll make your girlfriend happy.

Now if your a true audiophile....... maybe not.........

Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have two pair of Focal CA165 speakers on my 2009 Streetglide fairing and lowers and the speakers I have, have a built it rotatable tweeter and cross overs they do not have separate cross overs or tweeters. I have had them in my bike for better than two years and love the sound with them and have to turn it down because I can actually turn it up to loud at any speed. So far so good and have been wet plenty of times. They are powered by a RF PBR four channel amp and the first one died right before the warrenty went out so they gave me a new one. if the second one does not last I will have to look for a different amp. As far as monting them in the lower boxes I removed the metal Focal grill from the plastic ring that would mount to the speaker and just the metal grill fits perfectly in the CVO lower boxes. I used a little clear silicon caulk and put about a 1/4" bead at 12, 3, 6, 9 oclock positions and installed the grill in place and taped it to hold till the caul set up and its been fine for a couple of years. If you need to remove it just slowly and gentally pull the grill off and the caulk will release it. Good luck with your project.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_wjobxbib4_b

Last edited by Scubamike; 01-10-2014 at 08:13 AM.