Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power commander vs Thunder Max ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Kentheworth
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power commander vs Thunder Max ???

Hi guys ..i am looking to buy a Power commander 5 from Eastern performance and i wonder if its what i need ??? Ive heard that the Thunder max is very good but it is a lot more expensivewhat is the difference ???? I have now Rinehart slip ons and RC components Air cleaner and i need to have my bike re adjust. So instead of paying my HD dealer for a general download i thought i would buy the Power commander and install it my self... is it hard to install ? should i invest more money and get thte thunder max ???? i am not sure and went it comes to play with the ECM i have dought but Sean at Eastern (very very nice guy good service) is telling me that it is very simple to installand it is basically plug n' play type thing. He also told me that my bike wound run a lot smoother ,better trottle response and a little bit more power... what do you guys think about that ? thx

Old 12-29-2012, 01:35 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why don't you try the Nightrider Xied's, that is probably all you need, unless you are into tinkering with the bike a lot. They cost a little over $100.

I don't know much about the thunder max, but I think that is the one that has to be reset every time you disconnect the battery.

I don't like the PCV. A lot of people swear by them, but I never had any luck with it.

The TTS is good, I really like it a lot. But you don't sound like you are into messing with the bike, you just want it to run good, so call Steve at Nightrider and check into the Xied's.

Here is the link: http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Old 12-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Sparky73
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the T-Max and it's been perfect for me. I've gotten great support for my T-Max from Zippers and simply downloaded a new map for my stage 1 and again after cam replacement. No dyno tune or dealer service required.

You should understand that it's a replacement ECM so you'll pull the original ECM when you install T-Max. It also comes with new wideband O2 sensors so you'll need an '09 header if your bike is newer. '10 and later models use a smaller O2 sensors so the bungs (holes) are smaller and incompatible with T-Max.

No experience with PC-V but a lot of guys here swear by them.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Call Fuelmoto, or check out their web site, PowerVision is a great tuner.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

so a quick run down

nightrider.com xieds; plug in line with the o2 sensors, 10 minute install. they "fool" the stock ECM into making the mixture about 8% richer. works fine for a stage 1 bike. cost under $120 USD. quickly removed if going in for warranty service.
( and what i use on my 09)

PCV ( or V&H fuel pak) "piggyback tuners" they intercept the signals from teh sensors to the stock ECM and alter it. this can be fiddly and the pin contacts can be a problem as voltages involved are very low- so any resistance in the circuits can cause real problems.
SOME of these do not use the o2 sensor input at all, which makes no sense to me...the system since 2007 is advanced so that the ECM constantly measures how the motor is responding to the fuel provides rich or lean .
Probably a concern if you have a factory warranty- it may be voided.

Thundermax- a compete replacement for the stock computer ( hence the cost). This is a real performance solution for a bike with a highly modified motor and an owner ( or tuner $$$) who really understands how motors work and how each parameter affects the other.
More expensive, more advanced, requires a more advanced understanding.
Probably a concern if you have a factory warranty- it may be voided

It is easy for a novice to screw up a good running bike by clicking or unclicking the wrong value in the wrong box.

Mike

Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,550 Likes on 22,688 Posts

Had very good results w/my PC-V and most dyno-ers can work with them too.
They are a canned map but still work good.
T-Max is great, but @least twice the price.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

The PCV is a "piggyback" device, i.e. it connects downstream of the ECU, and is plug-and-play. It typically works in open-loop mode, which means the stock O2 sensors are not used. The T'Max is a "flash-based" tuner that replaces the ECU and its stock narrow-band O2 sensors with a new ECU and two wideband O2 sensors. It is also a much more complex proposition to install.

The PCV costs about $300 while the T'max is at least double that amount, and I would suggest calling Fuel Moto and talking your choices over with them. They sell both, as well as other tuners like the Power Vision, and their customer service before and after the sale is easily worth what little (if any) you'll pay over and above the price at other dealers. Another advantage of buying there is that they will install a good map or tune for your bike at no added cost, and if you make changes in the future they will update you accordingly. They're also a forum sponsor.

I used the PCV with and without Autotune for three years before moving to the Power Vision, and can attest that it is a very competent tuning device.

If you need more info, just ask.

Last edited by iclick; 12-29-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm not a big fan of any of the add-ons that bypass the 02s. But the PV5 is the best of the bunch and may not be a big deal in the flatlands? The SERT, TTS and Powervision are real tuners without the need to replace the whole ECM with the Tmax. Not sure what the advantage is, or what's wrong with the oem ECM?? While ya may get by with an add-on, especially with only stage 1, there is no substitute for a proper tuner and tune.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 AM
jamminjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T-max sucks!!! After it got wet it died . 3 or 4 months later my friends also died on him when it got wet,

Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Sparky73
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamminjim
T-max sucks!!! After it got wet it died . 3 or 4 months later my friends also died on him when it got wet,
How'd you get them wet, submerge your bikes? T-Max uses existing ECM connections and is just as "watertight" as the stock ECM. If you're getting your ECM wet, you have bigger issues. Maybe you were washing your bike with no seat installed????

Quick Reply: Power commander vs Thunder Max ???