Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power commander vs Thunder Max ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 AM
paulhog
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I received my Power Vision yesterday. I'm going to flash the ECU today. I currently have stock headers, V&H Slash Down mufflers, and a SE air intake. I should have my ceramic Jackpot headers on Monday, but won't be able to install them for a few weeks after that. I'll report back with results if anyone is interested.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM
paulhog
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I just got back from a little test ride. The Power Vision was a piece of cake to use. I spent more time cleaning up all the dirt inside the right cover and the fuse box than I did flashing the ECU! I didn't mount the unit on the bike. I probably will another time. Just plugged it in, did the flash, unplugged it, put the cover and saddlebag back on, and went for a ride. I cruise down my street doing 25 in second gear as I always do. Noticed right away that it rode smoother... no more sputter keeping that speed. Starts from stop signs and signals were stronger. Got on the freeway for a couple miles, but not enough to really get a feel for it. I'll be interested in seeing what happens to my gas mileage. My last tank (mostly 2 up) I got 38.5 mpg, which is pretty typical. Can't wait for the Jackpot headers!

Last edited by paulhog; 01-04-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

So easy a caveman could do it!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Kentheworth
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FInally i bought the PCV from Eastern Performance and i should getting it very shortly ill install it but wont be able to ride before april ... ill send a update once irode cant wait.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Kentheworth
FInally i bought the PCV from Eastern Performance and i should getting it very shortly ill install it but wont be able to ride before april ... ill send a update once irode cant wait.
Good looking ride you got there Kentheworth, like the color alot but I'm a little partial to Red, know what I mean!!!!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM
BearHawg
Intermediate
Default Thundermax

IMO thundermax is a no brainer. You get what you pay for and the sky is the limit with what you can do with the thundmax.

No matter what mods you do to your motor the thundermax will continue to tune your bike with the auto tune feature.

Others you need to have dynoed and at several hundred bucks each time that adds up fast.

Keep in mind thundermax replaces the factory ECM it not plugged in to modify or intercept it.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 PM
baustchs73
1st Gear
Default Some People SHOULD mot play with ATOF Ratio

Its simple really I had a fuelpak and xid14 it worked fine. However I love tinkering (as a Chemical Eng grad from Auburn WAR EAGLE). I bought a ThunderMax love it then said heck, I'll make my own ecm AND I DID. Easy, now I can change my maps on the fly and well lets just say a several baggers and a vrod are sucking wind LMAO.

Ps Forgot mod xl883n iron 2010, 1250 cc mod gear ratio super dave piston and Bazzaz Wide open Big bore intake. V&H staggered shorties and quick shifter with traction control. I have been track and street racing sense I was 7 on a mini bike. I love the 883 from and look, not into driving around slow with my old lady on the back or beard and pot belly black tshirt. Love speed and I love to race. I figure when its time oh well... Now as a VET retired 23 years and 60% combat disable, I respect and never would insult a fellow vet. But get this only 1 % of this nations adult serve. That is sad. Freedom isn't cheap!

Last edited by baustchs73; 04-13-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Needed to inform the readers about bike spec's
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 PM
TVagee
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the pcv from eastern which they programmed for me and my pro pipe and pm air cleaner. Easy to do and bike runs like it was Dyno tuned. When I do cams I'll go with the auto tuner. I thought about thundermax but was more familiar with power commander. Had this setup for 8k without a hiccup.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:16 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this is an awesome thread for me, I was just trying to decide whether to do the TTS mastertune and 5 hours of dyno, or buy a pcv with auto tune, a power vision, or a thundermax, or a cobra fi2000.
After reading all this I see that the pcv and autotune or the thundermax cost the same as the dealer wants for the tts mastertune and the 5 hours of dyno

I am still waiting for fuel moto to get back to me, its been a few days they said they were real busy and plus it is the weekend, which doesnt bode well for them as my dealer is open 7 days a week, service 6 and I can buy or learn about this stuff anytime I want and not have to wait 5 days for an answer.

My question was why should I spend the 450 on a tts mastertune, then another 500 on 5 hours of dyno testing, when I can buy a cheaper unit and do it myself?

But after reading all this ,buy the time you buy the auto tune, you are spending the same money, So if I am not saving any money I think I might just let the dealer do the tts and dyno.
I dont know about the cobra, seems to good to be true, and at 200$ complete I just dont trust it, when everything else is 3 to 5 times that to get it right.

I am still undecided and I have time to figure it out but this thread taught me alot and gave me a lot more to think about.
Thanks
Lumo

Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by lumper
Well this is an awesome thread for me, I was just trying to decide whether to do the TTS mastertune and 5 hours of dyno, or buy a pcv with auto tune, a power vision, or a thundermax, or a cobra fi2000.
After reading all this I see that the pcv and autotune or the thundermax cost the same as the dealer wants for the tts mastertune and the 5 hours of dyno

I am still waiting for fuel moto to get back to me, its been a few days they said they were real busy and plus it is the weekend, which doesnt bode well for them as my dealer is open 7 days a week, service 6 and I can buy or learn about this stuff anytime I want and not have to wait 5 days for an answer.

My question was why should I spend the 450 on a tts mastertune, then another 500 on 5 hours of dyno testing, when I can buy a cheaper unit and do it myself?

But after reading all this ,buy the time you buy the auto tune, you are spending the same money, So if I am not saving any money I think I might just let the dealer do the tts and dyno.
I dont know about the cobra, seems to good to be true, and at 200$ complete I just dont trust it, when everything else is 3 to 5 times that to get it right.

I am still undecided and I have time to figure it out but this thread taught me alot and gave me a lot more to think about.
Thanks
Lumo
The difference becomes apparent when you do the NEXT mod and have to pay for that dyno time all over again.

Quick Reply: Power commander vs Thunder Max ???