Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 SG Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 03:11 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 SG Vibration

Under 6K on the bike, has ABS. I did lock the bike up once briefly while coming to an emergency stop (so glad I have ABS!).....

I get a strong vibration that feels like it comes from the back of the bike upon deceleration. Happens with the clutch in or out and is most noticeable when first applying rear brake pedal. I have not yet killed the engine when it happens to see if that can be eliminated. Anyone else with this specific situation? Could this be a warped rear rotor?

Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJRKC
Under 6K on the bike, has ABS. I did lock the bike up once briefly while coming to an emergency stop (so glad I have ABS!).....

I get a strong vibration that feels like it comes from the back of the bike upon deceleration. Happens with the clutch in or out and is most noticeable when first applying rear brake pedal. I have not yet killed the engine when it happens to see if that can be eliminated. Anyone else with this specific situation? Could this be a warped rear rotor?
Warped rotor will cause a pulsating feeling in brake lever when applying. I had a hellacious vibration on my 09 SG it was the front tire. There was a service bulletin that year the tire was junk major cupping and the tread was reversed from the current dunlops.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Wheel bearing, rotor, brake pad or loose fitting somewhere on the rear tire assembly. I am no wrench, so please post your solution.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJRKC

Warped rotor will cause pulsation in the brake lever but shouldn't cause any vibration through the bike. I think you've got something else going on. Do you feel any vibration on decel if you don't use the rear brake? Check your motor mounts for sure.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:25 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
Warped rotor will cause pulsation in the brake lever but shouldn't cause any vibration through the bike. I think you've got something else going on. Do you feel any vibration on decel if you don't use the rear brake? Check your motor mounts for sure.
Good call, I can't remember right now if I have it on decel w/out applying the rear brake but will check next time I'm out. I'm pretty sure it's when I apply the brake and it fades very quickly as I bring the bike down in speed. I'll post here when I do that.