Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solving 5th gear slip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:16 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default solving 5th gear slip?

To start off, I have searched the many solutions for taking care of the 5th gear clutch slipping on the 6 speed late model transmissions.

The best explaination I have found talks about axial thrust problems.
It appears Baker Drivelines knows about the issue and has a remedy - - -
http://bakerdrivetrain.com/street-door

If anyone has the new door and wants to give some feedback, Please Do.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:21 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your bike is "slipping in 5th gear you got clutch problems, now if it's jumping out of gear then you got other problems, Ive never herd of late model bikes slipping in 5th, as a matter of fact my stock clutch held up just fine with a 107 kit, I put the se clutch spring in just to be safe.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:35 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

as above, if your clutch is slipping there could be a number of reasons from fluid choice, to clutch material, to wear to adjustment...to spring pressure.

a bad clutch doesn't get better on it's own.

my stock clutch ( 09) works fine on my stage 1 bike...if I had more power, I'd look for a heavier spring....my fxr is hipo and runs a heavier spring as well as kevlar discs

mechanical advantage can also be a factor--- lugging the motor will create problems.

if rpm choice and power are not real issues, then pull the clutch and rebuild with new steels ( or check for warping or burning), new discs and a SE or other heavier spring.

use a standard kind of fluid- "magic" fluids may not work any better than stock- and sometimes not as well over the long run

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-25-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As av ultra siad, there are many bikes out there w/ over 100+ HP and using the stock clutch set up. My 103 makes 112TQ and it has the original 96" clutch & spring w/ 32K miles on it & it still works fine. Check your disks & plates & if they look good then Id put in a SE spring in before spending a bunch of money. Energy One clutches makes an extra plate kit that Ive read good stuff about.

Replace the least expensive parts first...

Old 12-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

The increased axial loads referred to in the ad might well contribute to blown out IP bearings, ( ever notice that those of us with 5 speeds don't have IPB issues?), but no way is that door going to prevent clutch slippage.

Address the clutch instead.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:04 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had 60,000 miles on my Ultra when I traded the clutch never did slip in any gear.

dd

Old 12-25-2012, 07:53 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

i have had the clutch let loose when hitting hard into 5th and wondering about the ipb as well,going to talk it over with indy may try this.if the clutch looks good i will add this b4 throwing a stronger spring at it and see for myself.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Never had this problem and have never read about this problem. (but there are lots of things I have never heard of so go figure) OP does not say he has it either. Apparently Baker designed this for ultra-performance motors...an extremely small percentage of the motors in existence today. So no doubt a very small market.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best guess is a weak diaphram spring and the helical cut 5th gear is allowing mine to slip and lately it is quite severe.
I am gentle with clutch usage and never had a problem on any other bike believe there is a real problem. Granted the cams,PC-V , air and exhaust mods bump torque and HP.

I would love to know if anyone knows exactly why,what,how and what the sure fix is.
Placed the bike on the lift and will start tearing into it soon, 15k miles 99% two up riding.
I plan to replace both tires with American elites also. Probably have 2-4k left on tread and no significant cupping but some cracking.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought this was only a tri glide problem.

Quick Reply: solving 5th gear slip?