Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solving 5th gear slip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZZCICI
My best guess is a weak diaphram spring and the helical cut 5th gear is allowing mine to slip and lately it is quite severe.
I am gentle with clutch usage and never had a problem on any other bike believe there is a real problem. Granted the cams,PC-V , air and exhaust mods bump torque and HP.

I would love to know if anyone knows exactly why,what,how and what the sure fix is.
Placed the bike on the lift and will start tearing into it soon, 15k miles 99% two up riding.
I plan to replace both tires with American elites also. Probably have 2-4k left on tread and no significant cupping but some cracking.
What year is your bike? I know that on my 08 softail 5th gear is a straight cut gear, not helical. I think that it was either 09 or 10 bikes that got switched from straight cut to helical. Besides if you are feeling your clutch slipping i don't think it has to do with your actual transmission. I am running a STOCK clutch basket with a VP (variable pressure) clutch with a 480 lb spring and I haven't had ANY slipping problems, other than the tire spinning!

I suggest checking out AIM clutches...they grip tighter the higher the rpms go via centrifugal force. So you get the grip of a high pressure spring, but the clutch lever isn't going to give you carpal tunnel

Old 12-26-2012, 02:10 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgod1100
What year is your bike? ariable pressure) clutch with a 480 lb spring and I haven't had ANY slipping problems, other than the tire spinning!

I suggest checking out AIM clutches...they grip tighter the higher the rpms go via centrifugal force. So you get the grip of a high pressure spring, but the clutch lever isn't going to give you carpal tunnel
Thanks, I have been considering the option you suggest.

My bike is a 2010 ultra with 103ci. Which has the late model 5th gear since '09' In 2010 they wanted to reduce 5th gear whine hence helical cut gears. My understanding at this point is due to axial thrust under load the movement reduces spring pressure which in stock form is supposed to be weak from the git-go.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I had serious clutch slippage on one of my rides. I changed the fluid to non synthetic and added an S/E spring and slippage is gone. Of course it is a 5 speed and a Dyna but that fixed it. I can hammer it as hard as I want now without issue.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZZCICI
Thanks, I have been considering the option you suggest.

My bike is a 2010 ultra with 103ci. Which has the late model 5th gear since '09' In 2010 they wanted to reduce 5th gear whine hence helical cut gears. My understanding at this point is due to axial thrust under load the movement reduces spring pressure which in stock form is supposed to be weak from the git-go.

Ahh, yeah, i always get confused on which year they changed to that helical cut 5th gear. The AIM clutche was some of the best money that I have spent... you won't be disappointed and you will no longer have that slippage issue.