Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder-Max install

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Renold
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder-Max install

Started working on install this afternoon of a Thundermax auto tune. Thought I was going to be up and riding before days end. Already had bungs in exhaust that were plugged off. Removed rear bung plug and went to remove front plug and it would not come out. Finally got a good grip on it and the 5/16 allen hole(actually it was metric equivalent) rounded out. Had to pull exhaust and weld a nut to the plug to remove. OK that out the way I still had couple hours of daylight so I proceeded to remove the ecm. This is a very ridiculous set up. I spent the rest of the day removing the TWO screws attached to the STUPID brass inserts. I hate these inserts. I do not understand why they would not just make a threaded hole for the bolts to go into. I all but destroyed the plastic piece.I had to pull the whole plastic tray out to work on it and still tore it up. It is salvageable but was unnecessary damage if the whole works would have been designed a little different. The back rest pads is another example of this if you have ever uncovered one to attempt to fix. Fairing attachment same thing. I hate these brass into plastic fittings and I imagine as time goes on it will get worse.
Anyway I am done rambling. i did manage to get the oxy sensers installed an the wiring close to where it goes. Guess I will finish tomorrow if all goes well. (Dont have to mess with no more HD junk that is).

Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

The TMax is what I woulda went with if $ was available. Give us a report when you've got it all ironed out.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:12 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I'm running the Tmax on my 2010 SG (strictly touring), prior I was running a PCV w/Autotune and just couldn't get it to run cool enough. Anyway I'm more than happy with the Tmax. Good-luck with the remainder of your install.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

It'll all be worth it!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Renold
Cruiser

Got everything installed and I can not get linked to it. Anyone an expert on this. The long weekend is going to cause me 3-4 more days of no bike I really need some help here guys(and gals)

Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Renold
Cruiser

Forgot to mention what it is telling me. It says..... TMAX50 state-ID17 Change or load to Smartlink configuration TMAX50STATE software.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you cycle it the right way before you tried to link to it? Also did you buy it premapped, try restarting you pc after loading the program?

Old 12-23-2012, 05:38 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Renold
Forgot to mention what it is telling me. It says..... TMAX50 state-ID17 Change or load to Smartlink configuration TMAX50STATE software.
You bought the "EPA legal" version?

Why?

If you would install aftermarket pipes with no converter why would you pay big bucks to buy an ECM that will only allow "EPA Street Legal" tunes?

Old 12-23-2012, 05:48 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Renold
What version of Windows are you using? It won't work if you're running Windows 98 or earlier. Also, like the prior post asked "why did you purchase the Street Legal version?"

Old 12-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Mikey_P
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine installed yesterday and took about a 90 mile ride today to let it work itself up. I just changed my exhaust and the difference was very noticable.

Quick Reply: Thunder-Max install