Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder-Max install

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:29 PM
06UltraBig95
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a T-Max on my 09 Street glide and love it.
Just gotta make sure you have the most current version of thier software, and a FULL charge on the battery.....learn't that one the hard way...
Once you have it dialed in you will love it.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
BIGRED1
Cruiser

Renold, sorry if you are having all of those problems.
Once you get it all installed and tuned in you will forget that the big hands need to become less of a hammer slammers.
What I am tring to say is, use some PB blaster, let it do its thing for an hour or so. Slow down, It aint a new bike, the stuff has had time to get 'roadized'.
Take a deep breath, walk away for a minute or os, even have a brew or two.
Good luck bro.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Renold
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it seems I have not loaded the drivers correctly for Windows 7. I am not sure I have this right yet but I will know as soon as it warms up tomorrow. I bought a usb to serial port adaptor and I think I need to use the Thundermax download for this and not the one that came with it. Its either that or the one I got is not windows 7 compatible. I am pretty decent on a computer even though I cant type worth a darn and I ran into an issue in the past installing a driver for something and had trouble then. I do Thank you guys for the input so far but please don't give up on me yet. I have time off work for the holidays and my *** needs to be in that saddle. Therapy, you know?

Old 12-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Renold
Cruiser

Originally Posted by aviscomi
What version of Windows are you using? It won't work if you're running Windows 98 or earlier. Also, like the prior post asked "why did you purchase the Street Legal version?"
I purchased this from here and it was better than the broke ecm ,tuner, and NO o2 sensors that I had.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Renold
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dbell66253
Did you cycle it the right way before you tried to link to it? Also did you buy it premapped, try restarting you pc after loading the program?
YES YES YES. And I have read the entire manual several times went back in and read other stuff over and over and even started a note book with notes of how to and settings I need to remember to check. I have been studying this tuner not stop for over a week now. Well I have had to work a bit and shop for X-mas and install the Thundermax to. I will get it though. And it is the Thundemax auto tune race version NOT the Thundermax 50 street version.

Last edited by Renold; 12-23-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: add text
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Check the com ports that the software is selecting..it defaults to com port 7 for some reason. You have to manually set the com port on the software to match the com port on your computer that the adapter is using. I had this same problem and it took me hours to remember to check the com port.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Don't let it whoop ya!

Hang in there man. You will get it done right. You know how it is, any time we work on these damn bikes, nothing, I mean not a damn thing, is simple or easy. But you have to get the mindset that no matter how damn aggravated you get, you won't let it win. Simply walk away for 10 or 15, go watch some mindless TV (lots of that to choose from), take a walk down the street and back, just anything to reset and refresh your mind. Nothing on them that you can't fix if you have to. It's just time and money, that's all.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Biker John
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a good system. I like mine and will be going to one for a 2012 Road King later. Make sure you have the "Handle Bar Switch" turned ON first...then the " Main Switch ON" to link to computer. The Thunder MAX program should be open also.

A wild guess...Plus not sure what PC system your using...perhaps you've said and I over looked it? Two CD-ROM discs...Thunder Heart the meat an potatoes and then Drivers for USB apps. If you're using an USB port then load the USB drivers.

Meanwhile, check the end of you interface cable from PC to the Thunder Max module...Make sure "NO Bent Pins" going to the Thunder MAX Module. My cable was either made on Monday or Friday? The sleeve on the pinned connector that goes to the Thunder Max module pulled off. I had to be careful and re-glue "super glue" it back on after the first use. **** poor quality on that USB Cable IMHO. But its better now and works.

Again, just quick guessing...Open the Thunder Heart Program, Once you get "Linked" you can load a basemap for your bike set up or as close as possible. Be sure and do the IAC...calibration first as outlined or it will idle like crap. Also, the timing is set low from Thunder MAX...you might want to go "UP" a point or two from their base line settings from the Ignition and Timing.

Hope I'm on track...hang in there...It works...

Last edited by Biker John; 12-24-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: for your set up-not from your set up
Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

It does work with Windows 7 because that's what I loaded on my Macbook pro when I had the T-Max on the previous bike. You just need to make sure to load up the USB drivers as the poster before me stated. I had mine up and running in no time. Sometimes it helps to just walk away and come back to the job. Once it's dialed in you will be very happy.

Merry Xmas

Old 12-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Renold
Cruiser

Biker John and Fire-Medic. You two are on the problem. I bought a staples USB to seriel port adapter. Do I load the software that came with it or do I use the Thundermax software? I am really confused over this adapter thing and it is starting to really discourage me. Thunder max only answers emails so I cant get them to walk me through. A little more advise and I think I'll get it. Thanks for what you put so far but I don't see any driver in the Thunderheart folder. Going to download it again and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Thunder-Max install