Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretched Saddlebag Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Stretched Saddlebag Frustration

Ok. So I want to do 3 upgrades for my 2010 FLHX this winter:

1) Stage 1 upgrade- already have this dialed in. Know where I'm going and how much it'll be. No problem there.

2) Tire hugger front fender- narrowed it down to a few manufacturers: Klock Works, Kustomwerks or Russ Werimont.

3) 4" Stretched Saddlebags-...

Now here's where the frustration comes in. I've been researching these things for MONTHS and there are SO MANY of them out there, all made from different materials and priced at different points. I've seen them priced from $350-almost 2 large. Now I know that generally, you get what you pay for, but there can't be THAT much of a difference between Fairing Factory's for $400 and Ness's $1600+ bags, can there?

I seriously want to pull the trigger on these and get it done because I know that Spring will be here before we know it. I intend on putting on some SERIOUS long-range miles this upcoming season.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Check out the bagger long OCF 21" fender. It will allow all of your wheel to be seen. It is an RWD fender and comes with all mounting hardware, etc.
http://hogpro.com/showsubcat2.php?catid=3&subcatid=33

As far as the bags, I am not sure what the difference will be but would assume that some will fit much better than others and they are made out of different materials. Quite often the bags have to be shimmed and such to get them sto sit just right. Not all bags have the same style and size of cutouts either.

I am sure someone else can expand on the bags.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

by the time you figure that out , that look will be out of fashion.

the differences are many and in some you may be 'paying for a name' but others may be poor quality.

there are all kinds of stories about poor fit, warping, flexing and bending materials & compatibility with stock lids and stock hardware

whatever you get, mock up the entire build ( incl mufflers) before sending to paint as the paint will be $$$

or just wait, that fad will pass and you'll have cash in your pocket.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-21-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

Well, Mkguitar, as a recent convert to the Touring side of things, I haven't been around baggers long enough to be influenced by a "fad". I just really happen to like the look of stretched bags. Plain and simple. Also, the little extra room in them is a +.

As far as paint, that's not an issue as my body guy has been taking care of me for almost 30 years. He painted my stolen Night Train for $250. And I got compliments up the a** on the paint while I still had her.

So basically, $350 or $2000, I'm just taking a chance? Sounds great!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I can't speak to great detail about the aftermarket offerings, but I have read and seen in person that the stuff from Sinister requires some finessing to give it the fit and finish that others may offer from the get-go.

Not that they have garbage, just that there is prep-work associated with them.

I have heard good things about Top Shop, but again, no first hand experience...

Regarding the front fender - I just ordered the Slicer from Klockwerks for my 19" Agitator. Quality is superb from my perspective, and my painter agreed. Nice thing too is that the mounting holes are pre-drilled. I don't regret that choice at all.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 12-21-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Tee Bagger
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a set on ebay from camtech customs. They were $599 and were ready for paint....very nice quality!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

i have the stretched bags from Milwaukee bagger. Great fit and finish, good product. IF i was buying stretched bags today, my requirements would be, ABS plastic, not fiberglass, the fiberglass bags are ok but for me, i would want the plastic as the fiberglass does chip and in cold weather has a tendency to be brittle.

if i bought new bags today I would go with Sinister industry bags as they appear to have a few options as to the look on the side and their bags are plastic or urethane.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:49 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

MB's bags START at $1300. Not going that route.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:12 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Well I went the cheap E-bay route. $300 for bags and fender. Took a lot of time to get them right. If I had to pay somebody to do fit and prep work I would have been in deep do-do. Since I did all the prep and fitting myself, the cheapes were fine for me.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 PM
RadioBob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote would be Top Shop bags. You can even get them painted. Couldn't be happier

Quick Reply: Stretched Saddlebag Frustration