Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretched Saddlebag Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 PM
gwphelpss10
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top Shop is the way to go!!!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Jeepin79
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done a lot of research and keep coming back to the topshop bags. They offer them painted which is exactly what I am looking for. I dont have a painted in my area that is willing to do reasonable priced painting so I like the idea of them being already painted. They also offer a forum discount so its worth asking for it if you go with their bags. They also come carpeted on the inside of the bags which I like too.

Last edited by Jeepin79; 12-21-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I went through this process several years ago, as mentioned earlier you go too cheap you end up with a lot of prep so the cost is a wash, I wouldn't worry too much about ABS vs Fiberglass if the manufacturer is one referenced here. My bags are ABS and the resr fender is fiberglass. I went with Sinister and I doubt any of the other bags are better, however I'm quite sure it goes the same with the others MB, Top Shop, yaffee, etc. bought my components from Chuck at Benz and Bikes lowest price and tons of support.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

So... I'm back to square one. Lol

Old 12-22-2012, 04:31 AM
eds06roadglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember doing the same thing as you....Yes the mark up on this crap is insane and at times rediculous!! Anyways.. I have personal experiance with Sinister and Ness. I had sinister on my road glide that got stolen as far as prep there was some needed. Fitment did take a few trys and some spacers to get it right thats for sure. I paid 6oo for the bags and 300 for paint. New street glide has ness bags that cost 900 not sure of the cost of paint as the old owner didnt have this reciept but, the fit on these is perfect!! I have yet to install the the fender which is a bad dad fender (850.00) that if it's like the last one I owned will fit perfect. You truely get what you pay for I guess but these builders are screwing us to say the least. Good Luck Brotha!!

Attached Thumbnails Stretched Saddlebag Frustration-new-bike.jpg   Stretched Saddlebag Frustration-new-bike-3.jpg   Stretched Saddlebag Frustration-new-bike-2.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 05:15 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,591 Likes on 22,694 Posts

You can get these cyclesmith saddlebag extensions. They come in chrome or contrast.
Some think that they look cheesy, but I think that they look good.
I've seriously contemplated it, just haven't made the move yet.

or you could have them painted to match yours. FWIW.
traveler did on this site and over-all looks great.

Another post of the cyclesmith extensions
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...xtentions.html

Last edited by lionsm13; 12-22-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:50 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

I think Harley got it right with their slanted bottom CVO style bags if you are doing a solid color. To me, 4" stretched bags need some sort of scheme painted on them (ericl's bike) or they look too blocky.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
You can get these cyclesmith saddlebag extensions. They come in chrome or contrast.
Some think that they look cheesy, but I think that they look good.
I've seriously contemplated it, just haven't made the move yet.
Found these on line and their for a 2-1 pipe.
I hope that whose-ever bike this don't mind.

or you could have them painted to match yours. FWIW.
traveler did on this site and over-all looks great.

Another post of the cyclesmith extensions
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...xtentions.html
This is the route I'm looking at too...bolt on & take-off if I ever sell the bike. Plus, the black go with my bike color scheme and I agree on traveler's bike - paint-match looks great.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, the important thing for me is that my body/paint guy is a freind and really helps me out so the cost of any prep work isn't THAT much of a factor. I don't want to get burned by s**t stuff but I also don't want to get burned by paying MAJOR $ for a name.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 AM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 2,917 Posts

Went with Sinister bags that I purchased from Eastern Performance. 700.00 shipped. Did have to cut them for the exhaust, no big deal. My painter was happy that little prep was needed. Or should say I was happy. I went with the Klock Werks Wrapper fender. You will not believe the quality. No prep work at all. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Stretched Saddlebag Frustration