Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well my 80 dollar oil change....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:38 PM
twsteddyna
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well my 80 dollar oil change....

Turned into a $400.00 Oil change.[:@] First I changed the oil and oil filter, transmission , then drained the primary, Boy was that a mistake, I swear the moco must have stomped on my derby cover torx bolts. I got 1 out via a torx socket the rest roundedout. So me an the neighbor removed the primary cover and drilled out 2 of the bolts and removed them with easy outs well the last two broke those two easy outs. So now I have a Extra primary cover (stock). Went out and bought a chrome primary cover and skull derby cover with stainless bolts install instead of those nasty torx specials. So much for saving on a oil change by the stealer, ughhh [:'(]

Old 02-03-2007, 06:43 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Well my 80 dollar oil change....

Did you use aT27 to get off the derby ? You used a 25 didn't ya ?

Old 02-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Longtimegone
Road Captain

Now your issue may have been totally different from this, but ... I honestly find it hard to believe that people have problems with torx fasteners rounding. As long as you use the right size, there is a lot of surface contact between the fastener and the bit. Using the wrong size must be the biggest problem. I don't know how many times I have stopped someone from using the next size smaller which would have quickly stripped out the head of the fastener.

Well, glad you got your problem solved and got a shiny solution.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

I almost did the same thing on some other T27 fasteners on my bike. T25 tool fit almost and I tried it, but . . . finally got scared I was getting into trouble and went out and bought the T27 to fit "exactly." If it says T27, you've got to use a T27!

Old 02-03-2007, 07:02 PM
twsteddyna
Advanced

No we used serveral T27's , they were on there so tight ya could watch the torx bit bend then you know what happens soon there after[:'(] heck I even went to Napa got a T27 last one they had , thought id even ask the guy do they make a 28 he said nope 27 then 30 I said ok an left

Old 02-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Man, that's a bad deal. Were they Loctited???

Old 02-03-2007, 07:13 PM
twsteddyna
Advanced

Couldnt really tell from the only one I got out. My neighbor is a mechanic, works for a generator company in Orlando, he couldnt believe how hard they in there . I can tell ya , now I know how tight thier in there now, went out an bought a torque wrench torqued them in like the book says an I can tell you there nowhere as tight as the ones in my stock cover

Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

That's what you get for living in the beautiful state of Florida , I have a foot of snow falling here , and just got the snow blower out ! Just kidding `, glad you got the problem fixed , I will look up the torque the bolts have to be . See if you can get a inch - pound torque wrench .

Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior

Hey neighbor, can you help me with mine in a couple thousand miles?

Anyone know if the Harley Service Manual will have the information on the correct wrenches to use?

Many thanks and ride safe,

Old 02-03-2007, 07:55 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: twsteddyna

Turned into a $400.00 Oil change.[:@] First I changed the oil and oil filter, transmission , then drained the primary, Boy was that a mistake, I swear the moco must have stomped on my derby cover torx bolts. I got 1 out via a torx socket the rest roundedout. So me an the neighbor removed the primary cover and drilled out 2 of the bolts and removed them with easy outs well the last two broke those two easy outs. So now I have a Extra primary cover (stock). Went out and bought a chrome primary cover and skull derby cover with stainless bolts install instead of those nasty torx specials. So much for saving on a oil change by the stealer, ughhh [:'(]

If I remember correctly, like back in the 70's. Ford Motor Company, when then knew of a pending strike. The assemblers took action on their own and did all kinds of mischief to the builds on the assembly line. I remember a woman brought her new car in to a station. She had a hollow bumping noise in the right front door hinge area when in motion. After a long while of searching. The mechanic took the door apart and found a coke bottle, with a string tied to the neck which hung inside the door. In the bottle was a note, that read. "bet ya had hard time finding this one azzhole" Just something to think about!

RJ

Quick Reply: Well my 80 dollar oil change....