Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock radio + high grade speakers = ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Stock radio + high grade speakers = ?

Stock speakers suck - 'nough said. Sadly I do not have the $$$ to do a full upgrade. I have an 02 with the stock unit w/cassette (woot!). Longer term I would like to upgrade to an amp, maybe new radio.

Is it worth getting something like Hog Wired or Biketronics speakers now, or is it best to just wait and get it all?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Most of the higher quality 5-1/4"/6.5" speakers (Focal/Hertz/JL/etc) perform better with an amp. Low power/clipping wrecks and distorts easier than too much power. One alternative is the new(er) Boom Audio speakers by H-D. They sound much better than stock and are made to work with the stock radio. My buddy put them in his 02 Ultra and they sound much better. Also less $$. FYI.....

Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how much do you want to spend?

if you only want to spend a couple hundred, go that boom audio route

if you have 4 or 5 hundred to spend while that may not be enough to get a full blown system you CAN probably get an amp and better speakers, just not that top of the line action

Old 12-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Extra Chunky
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a system from Hawg wired last year and was very very happy with it. Check with Frank at Drago's Bike works. He has very good prices on all there products. Also I can say nothing but good things about Hawg wired CS. I did the 6 1/2 ZX six pack kit and was really excited about how well it worked over the boom speakers I started with. Also watch the Hawg Wired site they have open box items for sale that carry a full warr and are well priced.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

there are used J&M systems around (7 1/4" speakers& adapters & 250 amp)- some didn't like the system and others up graded for even more $

I like mine alot that I bought new and use with the original HK Head Unit - way better sound & volume - but some don't like the set up

used systems are less than 1/2 price over $500 new +- for the 2 speakers & adapters & amp (plug & play)

and make sure you get the speaker adapters with the larger speakers - needed for sure

check around

Old 12-20-2012, 04:23 PM
1BADSG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent 230 bucks for my setup using the stock radio and it rocks. I went with the RF PBR300x4 and Focal 6.5CA. I plan to add 6x9 lid speakers later along with a new deck.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

IMHO I would wait a little longer til you can afford to swap at least the speakers and the radio out together moving to at least a 4 ohm speaker setup. The problem you're going to run into with that older radio is 8 ohm speakers. They're hard to come by and no matter how much power you put on them, they're not going to sound anywhere near as good as 4 ohm or 2 ohm speakers will. You cannot put 4 or 2 ohm speakers on that stock radio.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

Honestly, for the money, a pair of Hogtunes Tweeter Pods work wonders. They separate the high frequency signals and put them up where the handlebars and mirrors don't have as much of an effect. Obviously an amp and speaker upgrades are going to provide a much better listening experience but for the $125 or so they get for the Tweeter Pods on Ebay it is a good upgrade. I was very pleased with the improvement on my stock setup.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:57 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Ya can get a PBR300X2 amp
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Fal_Qgodw2IA3Q
plus some MM651 speakers
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...dio-MM651.html
along with some Dragonfly 6.5" speaker adapters and some wiring for about $400.
That is about the least I'd go with but ya may get by without an amp with some 2ohm infinity 6.5" coax speakers and adapters.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_37337_Infinity-Reference-6032cf-NVX-Sound-Dampening.ht

NEVER MIND missed the part on the older head unit. Save some money and replace the head unit.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 12-20-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Skip
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are interested in HogTunes, I have a pair that were in my 2001 FLHTC. they were a good improvement over stock.

Quick Reply: Stock radio + high grade speakers = ?