Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012 | 05:04 PM
sfetty
Road Captain

I have done a lot of research and learned a lot of valuable lessons on the subject.

I dont think anyone has been very sucessful with the black chrome plating. Most say it is soft, damages easy, and is prone to the color changes. Few want to do it as a result.

Black chrome powdercoating has its color issues. Once again, most powdercoaters dont want to do it because of the unpredictable color variations.

However, Harley's black ice wheels seem to have no complaints. I saw a Street Glide with chrome forks and black ice Agitators that looked awesome. Inspired me to try black chrome powdercoating. That didnt work out so well for me. Harley also has some smokey chrome accesories now that are getting good reviews. I dont know what they are doing on the black ice and smokey chrome parts, but I believe you can trust them. If you dont think the parts look right when unboxed, you can always return them. If you gamble having wheels refinished, I think the odds are against you being satisfied with the color or having a finish that holds up well. Just my opinion but I would recommend buying factory parts so you cant go wrong.