Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10" Mini Apes

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM
CPT America
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 10" Mini Apes

I've used the search function but still haven't gotten a good consensus from this or any other online source (and I've been looking all day) on whether or not I need the extended upper ABS front brake line for my 08 SG when installing a set of 10" apes. I've read enough common threads that pretty much agree you can get away with the stock clutch cable if you reroute it and I already have the wire extensions and the extended TBW harness. I've got a couple days off, it's raining, and I'm sick of looking at these apes just sitting on my workbench, so if anyone can answer (preferably from personal experience) as to whether or not I can use the stock brake line I'd like to get on this project soon. Again 2008 Street Glide w/ABS, 10" mini apes. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

2009 FLHT with Paul Yaffe Originals 10" Bagger Apes and used my stock brake line, stock clutch cable(just re-routed clutch cable) stock wire harness and stock TBW harness(it's tight but can be done) with no problems at all, on the brake line all I had to do was loosen the Banjo fitting at the Master Cylinder and rotate it a little bit, everything should work just fine, did with mine anyhow.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:23 AM
CPT America
Road Captain

Thanks. I keep hearing that the 2008's front upper line is different than the 09's and later and some people talk about massaging the bends in the hard line to get it to work.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 2012 Ultra. I just put on Yaffe 10 MMB. I needed to change the clutch cable. The brake line was moved to the other side on the neck wires and its fine.

Be Safe JIM

Old 12-17-2012, 11:24 AM
CPT America
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HDJIM1158
I have a 2012 Ultra. I just put on Yaffe 10 MMB. I needed to change the clutch cable. The brake line was moved to the other side on the neck wires and its fine.

Be Safe JIM
Thanks. What did you do to relocate the line? Did you keep the distribution block in its same spot under the lower tree?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done 10" Yaffe on mine. I kept stock brake line and clutch cable. I just reroute (inside the fairing and in front of the engine guard) the clutch cable, to work better, like that

Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM
CPT America
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pit1600
I've done 10" Yaffe on mine. I kept stock brake line and clutch cable. I just reroute (inside the fairing and in front of the engine guard) the clutch cable, to work better, like that

Thanks pit1600. So your clutch cable still runs though the grommet in the fairing then? Also, is your bike ABS? Seems like the issue is with the upper ABS line and the fact that there are several areas that are "hard line". I'm not keen on trying to go too far in massaging this hard lines to make the upper long enough. I read a thread where one member made a bracket and relocated the ABS distribution block about 2.5" to the right of its stock location. He then said that had to massage the hard line sections that ran to each caliper. I plan on pulling the fairing off this afternoon and looking at exactly how much slack, or lack of slack is there, and what possible mounting configuration I can use to keep the stock upper line without it being pulled too tight. I'm also going to see about trying your routing configuration for the clutch cable. I'm still leaning toward not internally wiring my bars just for ease of installation. I don't have nearly enough whiskey on hand to make me patient enough to deal with internal wiring today.

If anyone has a photo or link to a photo of someone using the stock upper brake line I would really appreciate it.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CPT America
Thanks pit1600. So your clutch cable still runs though the grommet in the fairing then? Also, is your bike ABS? Seems like the issue is with the upper ABS line and the fact that there are several areas that are "hard line". I'm not keen on trying to go too far in massaging this hard lines to make the upper long enough. I read a thread where one member made a bracket and relocated the ABS distribution block about 2.5" to the right of its stock location. He then said that had to massage the hard line sections that ran to each caliper. I plan on pulling the fairing off this afternoon and looking at exactly how much slack, or lack of slack is there, and what possible mounting configuration I can use to keep the stock upper line without it being pulled too tight. I'm also going to see about trying your routing configuration for the clutch cable. I'm still leaning toward not internally wiring my bars just for ease of installation. I don't have nearly enough whiskey on hand to make me patient enough to deal with internal wiring today.

If anyone has a photo or link to a photo of someone using the stock upper brake line I would really appreciate it.
Yes the clutch cable is still running through the grommet like oem. i wanted to keep it as it was so i tried to find the best way to reroute the clutch cable. For brake line, i massage the hard line to fit. On old bikes like mine brake line is a little bit too small but on newer models you have enough length.
For internal wiring, it takes time but it work even on Ultra's with sooooo much wires inside.

My oem brake line

Last edited by pit1600; 12-17-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
CPT America
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pit1600
Yes the clutch cable is still running through the grommet like oem. i wanted to keep it as it was so i tried to find the best way to reroute the clutch cable. For brake line, i massage the hard line to fit. On old bikes like mine brake line is a little bit too small but on newer models you have enough length.
For internal wiring, it takes time but it work even on Ultra's with sooooo much wires inside.

My oem brake line

Thanks. My other reason for not wanting to hassle with internal wiring is that my bars are only 1" so there isn't a lot of room to work in there.

Quick Reply: 10" Mini Apes