Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather is here...the bikes are stored

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:37 PM
Retrop
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Cold weather is here...the bikes are stored

So where do you store your bikes for the winter? I imagine most are stored in a garage at home or maybe under a carport. What about storing them at the dealer? I have heard that the dealerships in the northern states will sometimes store your bike over the long winter months for a fee. And what about insurance? Do you buy a 12 month policy or a 6 month policy?
These are problems that we don't have in the southern states because many of us can ride all year long, but have always wondered about the guys up north.

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:42 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master

81 here in West Palm Beach. Cold front come thru. High on Saturday is 77. Damn, got to break out my long sleeve shirt! Tee hee!

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:43 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

No storing here in Michigan! I've ridden for 23 consecutive months, already got December in.

Its going to be in the forties here this week.

I dont store - it comes out every now and then.

Its not storage season, its just slow season.

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:44 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

The local dealer here offers winter storage for something like $300 or so. I ride most of the year so storage is not really a problem. When the snow is on the roads I just cover it and lock it up outside. It rarely sits more than a couple weeks at a time.

Also, most companies up here don't offer 6 month plans. They tend to have lower rates for year round coverage, which I believe takes in to account lack of use in the chillier months.

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:49 PM
Johnny103ci
Cruiser

In the garage,,,

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:55 PM
Da-mack
Tourer

I got the bike up on the lift. I need to get it out one more time and top off the gas tank. I keep my Ultra Classic in my garage. If its 35-40 degrees, I'll try to get it out and run around a bit at least once a week. When the frigid temps set in and the snow is on the ground, I'm making stuff for it.

I too think that I've ridden it at least 1 or 2 times a month for every month over the past year so I'm not going for a long term storage.

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:59 PM
blackflame
Road Captain

Not that the cold scares me of, but not a fan of sand on the roads and cages not looking for bikes in the winter. On a side note i have no damn garage,,,Bike gets stuffed into a tarp covered shed.. The shed where it is now turns into a snowmobile shed for winter.

Old 12-11-2012 | 05:00 PM
Buns79
Cruiser

The dealers here in central Illinois offer storage but I've never used it, this year however my dealer is offering a winter painted inner fairing deal for 400 bucks that includes the painted fairing 2 months of storage and a complete detail and since I just had surgery on my arm and can't ride I said why not! The wife's 883 is being stored in the walk out basement. Wish I lived in west palm beach, Id give anything for a 80 degree day right now! It was 18 last night here!!!

Old 12-11-2012 | 05:09 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member

Still in mourning for my drowned FXDF, but ready to order a new one as soon as the insurance check comes in. I'll be dressed and out riding as soon as it arrives, as long as there's no salt, crud, or precip on the road (that said, I DO have a cozy warm garage to store it between rides!)

Old 12-11-2012 | 05:21 PM
chamokie
Supporter

My bike has been "sleeping" sense the end of Sept.
My house was built in 1937, prior to building the house the built the garage and lived in it until the house was livable. in the back of the garage is a small room they used for a bedroom. So my bike has it's own "bedroom" to park/sleep in. LOL

Dealers here will offer free storage if you have work done. This helps with the payroll during the off season.

Quick Reply: Cold weather is here...the bikes are stored