Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather is here...the bikes are stored

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012 | 10:08 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jswerve
not sure what to say to that?
If the roads are wet around here they use so much salt it gets clear up under the tank, and behind the side covers, so I don't ride unless they are dry, and if it is real salty dry , I can wash my bike with hot water, does that explain it better?

Old 12-12-2012 | 10:32 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bill03E
If the roads are wet around here they use so much salt it gets clear up under the tank, and behind the side covers, so I don't ride unless they are dry, and if it is real salty dry , I can wash my bike with hot water, does that explain it better?
Yes thanks lol

Old 12-13-2012 | 06:50 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GlennJ
On a related note: How hard is the salt on the Harleys? I'm a lifelong rider but new to the H-D world and am reluctant to give it up for the winter. Too much fun. Literally everyone that I know in this area who rides H-D tells me the salt will destroy the bike in short order and I am a fool to keep riding. To some degree, that could be true or not based on the quality of the chrome/paint/and zinc coatings, etc.
Would love to get others opinions on this.
Think of what salt does to your car, and your car has a lot more corrosion protection than any HD does. Here in the Buff they don't even plow the streets any more. They just put down tons of salt to melt the snow. Everything is caked with salt. The bike stays in the garage until it gets to like 40 AND a good rain or 2 to clear the streets. Most riders here do the same

Old 12-13-2012 | 12:06 PM
JOW_103
Advanced

I usually store my bike in the garage in front my car. However, with my full dress Ultra and my wife's Heritage, I can't fit both in the garage and get my car in. I'm building a 24' x 16' shed which will be sectioned and will have a 16' x 10' area for both bikes. I keep insurance on the bikes all year and ride all year round. My decision to ride is based on if there is ice and snow in my driveway. As long as I can get safely out of my driveway I will ride regardless of the cold. The heated grips, seat and riding pants make it pretty comfortable to ride in the cold weather. Rode to work toady and it was in the 30's when I left for work.

Old 12-13-2012 | 01:51 PM
jeg607
Cruiser

We try to ride 12 months out of the year. Big thing in these here parts of the Virginia mountains, is a New Year's Day ride (short or long depending on the temps and snow depths if any, but nevertheless a ride), haven't missed one in many years. As far as storage, year round, the bikes are in a horse barn, with each of the three bikes in its own horse stall. After all, they are Iron HORSES, right?

Old 12-13-2012 | 06:43 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Here it is mid December in the snow belt and I went for a 159 mile ride on the FXSTC. 50 degree weather, sunshine and blue sky. Came across about 5 other bikers along the way. Feel sorry for those in this area that have their bikes in storage at the dealers warehouse.

Gas just went down to $3.249/gal. on this side of the river and $3.079 on the Iowa side.

Stopped in the dealers and made an offer on a 2000 Deuce that had been made into a show bike. One owner who had just traded it in on a 12 Anniv. Ultra. The salesman could not make a decision as the dealer was not in, so I will learn about it tomorrow.

Old 12-13-2012 | 06:51 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior

My ride sleeps in the garage, just resting for the few warm days during the winter I will take it out until full thaw of spring.

Old 12-13-2012 | 06:52 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior

I'm still riding, and morning temps have been dropping below 30F. As long as theirs no ice....or salt, I'm good for year round. I have never stored a bike for the winter. It has to be as ready as I am to go where i am, and when I am. Yes, I do have a car and a truck, and they get their use as well when needed.

aka Bob

Old 12-13-2012 | 08:36 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jswerve
Just trade it off LMAO
I'm no trust fund baby sir, nor will I be trading in my 2012 FLHX anytime soon that I put over 10K into. It needs to last me a lifetime or close to it. No salt for my bike at all, heck it does not even see a rainy day! Lol

Old 12-13-2012 | 09:00 PM
ratdoc
Tourer

Originally Posted by risuperglidecustomman
I'm no trust fund baby sir, nor will I be trading in my 2012 FLHX anytime soon that I put over 10K into. It needs to last me a lifetime or close to it. No salt for my bike at all, heck it does not even see a rainy day! Lol
Boy, I bet you enjoy the three days a year you do ride though...

Quick Reply: Cold weather is here...the bikes are stored