Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather is here...the bikes are stored

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012 | 05:37 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GlennJ
On a related note: How hard is the salt on the Harleys? I'm a lifelong rider but new to the H-D world and am reluctant to give it up for the winter. Too much fun. Literally everyone that I know in this area who rides H-D tells me the salt will destroy the bike in short order and I am a fool to keep riding. To some degree, that could be true or not based on the quality of the chrome/paint/and zinc coatings, etc.
Would love to get others opinions on this.
A lot of guys won't ride in the salt. Ultimately it's your bike and your choice. If you choose too I would spend a lot of time detailing it immediately after.

Old 12-12-2012 | 06:04 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master

Salt will destroy your bike quickly! Your bike your.money!

Old 12-12-2012 | 06:07 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by risuperglidecustomman
Salt will destroy your bike quickly! Your bike your.money!
Just trade it off LMAO

Old 12-12-2012 | 06:16 PM
spizzyman
Road Master

I don't store but do keep it on the tender almost always. The issue here is constant rain this time of year. No salt on these roads. I covet a sunny day or even a day when it looks like it will not start raining before I leave the garage. LOL.

spiz

Old 12-12-2012 | 06:26 PM
SequiMike
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spizzyman
I don't store but do keep it on the tender almost always. The issue here is constant rain this time of year. No salt on these roads. I covet a sunny day or even a day when it looks like it will not start raining before I leave the garage. LOL.

spiz
I know the feeling. Same thing down here in Sequim - cold, wet, and sloppy miserable. We're supposed to be in the "rain shadow", but you couldn't convince me of that these past few weeks. Bike is in the garage and at the ready, but may not go anywhere for a long time to come. Here they are starting to put magnesium chloride on the streets and I'm not sure how that will affect the chrome, but it probably won't be good.

Old 12-12-2012 | 06:55 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

In the beginning I stored bikes in the basement or in the house depending on where I lived at the time. When I got a house with a three car garage they had room to be in the garage.

I always hated the condensation on the bikes in the spring when the warm damp air would sweat on tools, bikes and any other metal because the garage floor was always the last thing to warm up to the ambient temperature.

My dream for retirement was to have a large climate controlled garage. I retired 10 years ago and achieved that goal.

They now set in 72 degrees summer and 65 degrees winter. They are on tenders and filled with StaBil but are not put away. At any time that conditions permit (20's, clear roads and sunny) out one of them comes out.

It is not how many good days a year there is to ride like SoCal, it is how many days you do ride. I past up 25K so far this year and am not done. Being retired provides the most riding opportunity. And a passion to ride without considering temperatures that much.

Have heated gloves and several layers of clothing ready to go on hangers and a big table in the garage to select from.

I even added a go in the snow bike this year. A 2WD sidecar Ural.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-12-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2012 | 07:37 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jswerve
A lot of guys won't ride in the salt. Ultimately it's your bike and your choice. If you choose too I would spend a lot of time detailing it immediately after.
I don't ride if the roads are wet, and I wash my bike , I have my water heater in the garage to wash it with.

Old 12-12-2012 | 09:16 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bill03E
I don't ride if the roads are wet, and I wash my bike , I have my water heater in the garage to wash it with.
not sure what to say to that?

Old 12-12-2012 | 09:25 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jswerve
not sure what to say to that?

Lmao!

Old 12-12-2012 | 09:26 PM
crackercap
Road Master

I store my bike in my enclosed trailer. Easy to take in and out and its out of the weather and out of the way.

Quick Reply: Cold weather is here...the bikes are stored