Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather is here...the bikes are stored

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012 | 06:27 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

My dealer offers $250.00 storage which includes an oil change, and put in heated storage with a tender.
I don't use it, I am one of those that sees it as a slow time not a stop time.

Old 12-11-2012 | 07:01 PM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer

I am still riding up here in Western Washington on a daily basis, chilly in the AM but nothing a set of wet/cold gear and heated grips can't handle.

Old 12-11-2012 | 07:35 PM
Drat
Road Warrior

Mine has been in the garage on its rubber pad and covered over since the salt and sand have been on the roads. I used to ride other bikes year round and did not care about salt pitting. Now I would like to keep the pitting to a minimum. No way to wash it during the winter. So I am stuck to riding from April through October or November.

Old 12-11-2012 | 08:00 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Mine is usually in the garage. This year a local dealer offered free storage with a 5,000 mile service. I jumped at it. Took the bike there the day before Thanksgiving, had to be 200 bikes in there. Really a nice promotion by them that keeps service busy all winter

Old 12-11-2012 | 08:01 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member

..no storage here in New England...many of us die hards can't go months without riding...I ride all winter...unless there is snow on the streets..but usually the roads are good to go a couple days after snow...don't know what "no way to wash it" in winter means?...if it's over 32 degrees, use the garden hose and rinse it...I have a heated garage it goes back into so it dries and all is good...no rust, pitting, nothing...December has already been great for riding in MA so far...

Old 12-11-2012 | 08:58 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Retrop
So where do you store your bikes for the winter? I imagine most are stored in a garage at home or maybe under a carport. What about storing them at the dealer? I have heard that the dealerships in the northern states will sometimes store your bike over the long winter months for a fee. And what about insurance? Do you buy a 12 month policy or a 6 month policy?
These are problems that we don't have in the southern states because many of us can ride all year long, but have always wondered about the guys up north.
I live in North Central Iowa. Rode all the way up until last week. I could still be riding technically as we have no snow, no salt, and no sand on the ground. Was about 38 today but too chilly for me if it gets around 45-50 I'll pull it back out as long as the roads are debris free.

I keep it in the garage with stabil in the tank and the battery tender plugged in. Also keep the CVO cover on it. I could be out riding in about 3 mins though. I buy a 12 month policy don't want to have to worry about insurance if the weather gets nice mid winter!

Old 12-11-2012 | 09:00 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior

Mine'll sit around the garage 'til I take 'er out again. Might be a week, might be a couple months. Winters are hard to tell around here. I think the dealer's storage thang is great for those that need it. Just wouldn't be any type of payoff for us in the midwest.

Old 12-11-2012 | 09:15 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior

18 degrees?!?!! Damn, that's cold. Mid 60's here this weekend. I'll take that.

Old 12-11-2012 | 10:00 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

It is 20 degrees tonight with 5" of snow on the ground, here in central WI. My bike has been in a storage shed, along with my boat, for a month.
I haven't seen a bike out in a month.

Old 12-11-2012 | 10:05 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Been put away for just over 2 month...it was -30 last night so a bit nippy for a ride.

I have nice safe heated storage.

Quick Reply: Cold weather is here...the bikes are stored