Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Custom

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 03:44 AM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Road King Custom

What are you riding now? If your going from a Dresserto the Custom the ride maybe a problem. Anything else and I would seriously doubt you would second guess buying it. The beach bars are a love or hate issue. Only after riding will you know. But there are lots of option for handle bars and I certainly would not let that stop me from buying the bike.

For what its worth Inevereven concidered a "bagger" until I rode a RK Custom.One rideand I had to have one.....my 92 softail just collects dust now....Iroad it twice since I got my 07 RK Custom.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an opinion but I too loved the look of the Rk Custom but hated the ride. I put about 300 miles last summer on one through mountain roads and did not like the way the bike felt in the curves. The bars bugged me too. I don't care for the feel of the RKs after riding them. If you are going to do a lot of two up riding you might want to try out an Eglide.

But no one can say for sure what you will like butyou. Best thing is to try one out. If you are new to riding make sure you do the rider course first if you haven't already. Rent a few models and put some miles on them. You'll gravitate to one model or the other and feel good about the decision.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:01 AM
GhostBagger
Tourer

I don't think the shocks will be an issue, just got to experiment with the air pressure to find out what suits you. If you do many miles with the wife onboard I would expect the comfort of the rear seat might be more of an issue.

GhostBagger.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Onry1
Intermediate

I own an '06 RK Custom, loved the look right off. I had trouble with the bars at first but found a simple solution in just turning them up an inch or two. The seat is as hard as a rock after about 500 miles I find myself riding side saddle. Seat has to go this year. The ride is as comfortable as the other Road Kings. In the end only you can decide what feels good to you, like others have said ride it then decide.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Blue
Advanced

Finding the perfect bike is hard, dont let the shocks, bars, or seat stop you.
Keep in mind it is a HD so fine tunning it to fit you is part of the extended deal.
The RK Custom is a sleek machine, I have one myself.
And yes I thought the handle bars looked flat out stupid, nor did they fit me or my riding style,
but that did'nt stop me from buying the bike.
The seat was a bit of an issue also but once I changed the bars my riding postion changed
along with the issuse with the seat, even though the seat is no place for a passenger.
If you like the bike overall buy it, then dial it in to fit you and her.
You'll find the bike is great in town and on the hiway.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:00 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont pass upa smoking deal!Try and rent one to see if the overall comfort is there for you.Even then,rideing with the beach bars is gonna be different from stock bars,but can be changed as well as the shocks.The road king is about the most versatile of the touring class because you can dress em up,and take it right off!Good luck and hurry up with the pics of your new king!

Old 02-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

If they are offering you a good deal on the bike, jump on it! I rode my RKC for two years with the beach bars and only changed them when I got rid of the stock seat. Buy it and ride it for a while...they can be replaced easy enough.

Ride safe.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:05 PM
moblul
Intermediate

thanks for all the great info everyone!!

i was pretty certain i was going to take this GREAT deal,and after reading all of the comments and visiting FOUR Harley shops this weekend -- i'm now sure that i'm going to take the deal.

once i get the details worked out and pick up the bike -- i'll be sure to let everyone know how everything is going.

i dig this little community -- nothing like a place to make new friends and talk about bikes!!!