Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing stock pipe...or not?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Sorry Bill, but you are simply not going to "drill" out the cat material. It's way too stubborn for that. Additionally, the limited design of the stock header is way behind a properly designed 2-1-2 stainless header. No contest. But many settle for a de-catted stock pipe either for money issues or whatever, so each to his own.
I mentioned drilling because there are a lot of people that seem to have had sucess with it. I cut a coupon in mine and welded it back in.

I went this way because there was a dyno on the FuelMoto page that showed a comparison between a 2009 Limited with stock head pipe (no Cat) and a Jackpot. There was only around 1.8 HP difference between the two. Not worth the 500.00 to me, especially since I plan to do no other mods than the SE aircleaner, PC V and slipons. One of the guys at FuelMoto also told me I would not see any real difference with just those mods.

Also, the OP was trying to pass an emissions test without a lot of expense and mods plus having to change out the header every two years. My suggestion was a possible way around having to keep switching headers and still get some performance and sound.

Bill