Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A battery tender is a must have ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
See post 19
Thanks, guess I'm just an old fart. Gotta learn all this modern technology stuff.

Originally Posted by Jswerve
This is a first to me? I haven't seen a SG without the pigtail installed from the factory?
I assure you mine does not, and it was purchased new off the showroom floor. Maybe its something your dealer does to sucker people into thinking they need to buy one

Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 AM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I used to have to buy a battery almost once a year to the date for my 1998 Softail. After about 5 years I heard about the Battery Tenders and decided to try one. Now I change batteries every 5 years. I keep a tender on both my Softails now and my Electra Glide Ultra( plugging up after every ride)and my 2 riding lawnmowers. They work for me and they are much cheaper than a battery.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,902 Likes on 19,364 Posts

The dealer installs the pigtail for the Battery Tender ... NOT the factory.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The dealer installs the pigtail for the Battery Tender ... NOT the factory.
Originally Posted by Mark_H
Thanks, guess I'm just an old fart. Gotta learn all this modern technology stuff.

I assure you mine does not, and it was purchased new off the showroom floor. Maybe its something your dealer does to sucker people into thinking they need to buy one
Guess I have a solid dealer then there's nothing to "sucker" ppl into it's included they don't charge extra for it. If you don't have one, bummer

Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

2006 Ultra and still have the original battery,keep it on HD battery tender all the time when it's parked in garage.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Roadie 49
Cruiser

I live in N.H.,bike is in cold storage.
2006 RK with battery tender, no problem with original battery.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
Guess I have a solid dealer then there's nothing to "sucker" ppl into it's included they don't charge extra for it. If you don't have one, bummer
Well, not to get into a pissing match here, but the dealer did you no favor by putting in the pigtail for you unless he gave you a tender at no charge. Last time I checked, every tender sold comes with the pigtail. So your dealer basically gave you something that was absolutely worthless unless you shelled out more money. So, yes, imo the dealer is trying to trick people into thinking they need something by making them think it comes from the factory like that.

Call it what you will.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark_H
Well, not to get into a pissing match here, but the dealer did you no favor by putting in the pigtail for you unless he gave you a tender at no charge. Last time I checked, every tender sold comes with the pigtail. So your dealer basically gave you something that was absolutely worthless unless you shelled out more money. So, yes, imo the dealer is trying to trick people into thinking they need something by making them think it comes from the factory like that.

Call it what you will.
Don't use a tender then, I.D.G.A.F.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your bike will have down time, get the battery tender. They do not cost much and will keep the battery healthy.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM
MtlPete
Novice

When I purchased mine, new from the dealer, it had the pigtail and the dealer made me sign a document stating that I was offered a charger and "I decline the offer to purchase the Harley Davidson battery charger"

I guess it also protects the dealer from complaints that the battery is dead.

Being in Montreal, bikes are in storage from 3-5 months and I bet that a lot of batteries ARE dead in the spring.

Both my bike and the GF's bike are on a tender.

Quick Reply: A battery tender is a must have ?