Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where to buy switch?

Here is what I will be doing:

http://www.biketweakers.com/garagedooropener.html

I need to find a momentary rocker switch that is identical to the switches already on my bike. I have cruise, AUX and Spotlight switches. I have no intentions of ever adding a CB so I want a momentary switch for this location to be used for the above mod.
I have checked Radio Shack and various auto part stores. They all carry a normal rocker (on/off). Does anyone have any ideas where to get one?

Old 02-02-2007, 01:52 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where to buy switch?

Me, ah'd find me a CB PTT switch outta a wrecked bike, then wire it in.

One other thang - ah'd make them connections DIFFERENT from each other, so that you didn't accidentally plug the power into the switch connector, an' vice-versa. Ah'd also make sure that the power lead from the bike to the remote power supply wuz a FEMALE connector - that'd prevent you from accidentally groundin' it out against sumthin' when it's disconnected. Ah'd also fuse it - but that's jest me.

Ah'm doin' sumthin' similar, but ah'm usin' a horn button installed in the mount brackets HD makes fer auxillary switches, since ah'll be addin' some strobes, LED's an' other electrical accessories. The switches will power the coils on remote relays so that ah kin run a lighter wire ta them...

Old 02-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

I understand your username but that was extreamely difficult for me to read.

I appreciate the advice. I'm capable of electrical work. I'll make the nessesary changes to what is shown in the link. I'm just needing to know where I can get a momentary rocker switch simular to my other HD switches.

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Me, ah'd find me a CB PTT switch outta a wrecked bike, then wire it in.

One other thang - ah'd make them connections DIFFERENT from each other, so that you didn't accidentally plug the power into the switch connector, an' vice-versa. Ah'd also make sure that the power lead from the bike to the remote power supply wuz a FEMALE connector - that'd prevent you from accidentally groundin' it out against sumthin' when it's disconnected. Ah'd also fuse it - but that's jest me.

Ah'm doin' sumthin' similar, but ah'm usin' a horn button installed in the mount brackets HD makes fer auxillary switches, since ah'll be addin' some strobes, LED's an' other electrical accessories. The switches will power the coils on remote relays so that ah kin run a lighter wire ta them...

Old 02-02-2007, 02:24 PM
swomack
Road Master

Use the PTT switch for it. You probably won't find a momentary just like the MOCO switch bu you could probably bastrdize an ACC switch to become momentary with an X-acto knife and a small spring.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:26 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

when i was in Fleet mgmnt. there were parts catalogs, 1 was all elctronics,
a bazillion switches your lookin for.. I cant recall the name of the company/book
Granger maybe?... go that route if you know anyone

Old 02-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Shank
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Allelectronics.com and also mouser.com better have a lot of time at mouser they have a gazzilion switches....looks like a cool project but i dont know if you will find anything to use in the ptt space maybe you could do anaftermarket switch panel that has some cool clean lines that match up with the bike???? i've bought pieces and parts from both and they were upfront and quick ! Hope it works out.....

Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's a link to a company that has them with a pic of them.
However, most any auto parts store or big truck dealer (peterbilt, freightliner, etc)
should be able to buy from the manufacturer.
Cole hersee is the brand.
Hope this will help you

forgot to put the link in.
http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new...d=CHR5802704BP

ORIGINAL: Abnmarine

Here is what I will be doing:

http://www.biketweakers.com/garagedooropener.html

I need to find a momentary rocker switch that is identical to the switches already on my bike. I have cruise, AUX and Spotlight switches. I have no intentions of ever adding a CB so I want a momentary switch for this location to be used for the above mod.
I have checked Radio Shack and various auto part stores. They all carry a normal rocker (on/off). Does anyone have any ideas where to get one?

Old 02-02-2007, 03:34 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Granger's in Newington. If you have a switch you can take with you they may have a match..at least close.

Arlington Electronics near Spout Run 703-524-2412

Also might get a clue as to who supplies the switches for harley if you are able to read any info off the back of the switch itself. The supplier may have a momentary version.

Iknow you are looking for a direct answer. Only have suggestions. Good luck and let us know if you find one. I am interested in doing the same thing instead of having a opener hanging from my bars or purchasing the unit from H-D.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll start searching around to see who has what I am looking for. Will post when I do.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask Bryan where he got his. He has one for that exact reason and it's inconspicuously mounted in his inner fairing.

Heck, you guys bikes are gonna be twinkies!

Quick Reply: Where to buy switch?