Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers keep comin loose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 PM
SkipCarey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflers keep comin loose?

Bought a set of CFRS about 5 weeks ago, I used the stock clamps on the install .After a few days I noticed the right side was slidin back ,So I retightened it very very tight.But to no avail it came loose again?even after double wrenchin it It came loose a third time,I told some buddies what was goin on and one suggested a new clamp on that side,I pulled the muffler and examined the clamp and I noticed how burnt up it looked(catalytic converter side)so I went to the HD dealership and bought another ,While installing the new clamp I noticed the left one had come loose and slid back about 3/8s .Ive never had clamps/slipons do this before and Ive had three different sets of slipons on this bike .Im scratchin my head. and before anyone says it I aint a lil guy so I can put some chit on a wrench and I turn wrenches for a livin but this has got me stumped.The only difference is I put on some V&H power duals with the CFRs,I love the look and sound of this new exhaust but this Chit is PISSIN me off.

Any ideas?

Last edited by SkipCarey; 12-05-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of things I do. First, I rough up the area where they join with some sand paper. Everything grabs a little better if the surfaces are roughed up. Second, I used exhaust seam sealer. Right next to permatex at parts store. Third, I use a torque wrench. I am still using the factory clamps which have seen three different sets of slip ons.

Do as you will, but I have no issues and average about 10,000 miles a year.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

New clamps are the answer. They stretch when properly torqued and are not designed for multiple use.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Agree on the new clamps & no need to "crank" these on like the Hulk. Just dab a bead of HT silicone (liquid copper) on the inner pipe/header joint & tighten to "torque speck." You might be tightening too much & compressing the pipe(s)...

Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM
SkipCarey
Tourer

Thats kinda what I figured joe,Damn shoulda bought two at the stealership.....

Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 PM
SkipCarey
Tourer

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Agree on the new clamps & no need to "crank" these on like the Hulk. Just dab a bead of HT silicone (liquid copper) on the inner pipe/header joint & tighten to "torque speck." You might be tightening too much & compressing the pipe(s)...
Torque wrench ............Uhhhhhh wutz that?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

It's a wrench you use to put chit on...

Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

You said you still have the problem of the muffler sliding back even with a new clamp. The sealer already suggested may be the answer. I've never used it so I can't vouch for that one.

I had the same problem with my right side muffler. I got some .010 shim stock, cut it to size, and placed it between the muffler and the clamp. Problem solved.

And as far as over-torquing and compressing the pipe - can't happen. The design of the clamp with the metal blocks/saddles or whatever you want to call them will not allow the clamp to over compress. You could torque it until the bolt breaks and the diameter of the clamp wouldn't change once the saddles are seated.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-05-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipCarey
Torque wrench ............Uhhhhhh wutz that?
The torque on the clamps are something like 46 ft. lbs.(just off the top of my head) double check your shop manual and use that mysterious tool listed above.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could get a muffler clamp for a car, something you can take off and put on over and over again.

Quick Reply: Mufflers keep comin loose?