Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with people?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012 | 07:31 PM
Roger That
|
Road Warrior
Default What is wrong with people?

Sometimes it gets really discouraging with how a lot of people are nowadays. So many out there who are only thinking about "ME" not caring who or what they leave in their wake.
Last night I was sitting at a red light in the left turning lane waiting for the light to turn green. The light on the opposite side of the intersection turned green with the same two lanes and a separate left turn lane. I watched a guy on a Fat Boy move from the right to the center lane to come across the street and continue straight while seconds later a pickup turning left swerved into the center lane and hit the biker taking him down. Then to my disbelief, the guy in the pickup turned left and kept going. I know he knew he hit him cause he looked directly at him as they hit.
Well, I was pissed. I took off from the left lane to take off after him to my right. I caught up to him and got a couple of feet from him staying right on his bumper. He turns into a shopping plaza a half mile from the accident and parks the truck. I get out and he backs up and starts to leave again. I got in front of his truck holding my hand up and yelled to him that he is not leaving to go anywhere and I saw everything. He yells back that he isn't running and he's going back to the site of the accident. I yell back that I was going to be on his tail and not to try anything cute. He starts to pull out on the street then turns around and parks in another spot. He got out and came over to my vehicle and said he got a flat and if I could give him a ride back to the accident. Of course I did.
We get back and about 6 or seven police cars come blazing in with lights and sirens with a small crowd now gathered. A couple people came over to me to thank me for chasing him down. I just said no thanks needed, I just hope that someone would do the same for me if I'm ever caught in the same situation.
Well, some people just plain suck! I asked the guy that ran if it was really worth losing his license for a few years, jail time and potentially thousands of dollars to avoid responsibility. Turns out the guy on the Fat Boy, must have been 70 years old, was ok and stated that he wasn't hurt. His bike had both hard bags that he had mounted scratched up, forks a little out of alignment, dented up tank and mangled front fender. I think it scared him more than anything.
At least there were a few decent people who stayed to help the biker and gave statements to the cops.

Old 12-05-2012 | 07:36 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master

I'll bet you the dudes pick-up wasn't legal. Did you (or he) tell the cops where his truck was?

Old 12-05-2012 | 07:42 PM
A5Firearms
Tourer

Unbelievable! You did the right thing - I would have done the same. People like that **** me off. Flat tire or not he should have gotten out immediately to check on the other guy.

I might have punched him in the face when he got in my car to take him back and just tell the officers it must have been from the accident!

Old 12-05-2012 | 07:43 PM
dcraddo
Intermediate

Good for you on tracing the SOB down. The only bad thing is tracing someone down and not knowing if he has a weapon. For that very reason is why I am protected by Smith & Wesson. Being a former Marine who also has a conceal carry permit which I never leave home with out it, whether it is on my Bike or in my Truck.

Old 12-05-2012 | 07:45 PM
bgdv1
Road Master

hats off for doing the right thing ! most people dont want to get "involved" and would look the other way and go about their business. again awsome !

Old 12-05-2012 | 07:48 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Good for you! But I'm glad he didn't shoot you in that parking lot or knock over your bike (or you) to get away! I think I would have just chased him long enough to get a full license plate and description and let the police chase him down. A guy who is prepared to accept jail time on a hit and run might be prepared to risk it to get away from you too.

Old 12-05-2012 | 08:04 PM
Roger That
|
Road Warrior

Yes the police was informed EXACTLY where his truck was. He kept telling the cops it was at Dunkin Donuts, I kept telling them it was at TD Bank.
In the minute or two that I was chasing him down, I must of had 50 different "outcome" scenario"s running through my mind. I was fully prepared when I decided to get out of my truck and step in front of his truck. I'm also former military and am capably equipped.
My adrenaline was at its peak when I caught up to him and thought better of a "confrontation". I didn't want to escalate the situation in the state of mind I was in at the time unless he had responded differently. I think he knew that I meant business and was fully prepared to respond accordingly if necessary. He didn't fight it, he knew he made a bad decision.
I didn't do anything that most all of you here wouldn't do also if and when you are put in that situation. I believe in karma. I may need someone to do it for me one day.

Old 12-05-2012 | 08:07 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member

You did good, wish more people would do the same. I don't think some people would have cared.

Old 12-05-2012 | 08:15 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

You know what they say, hit a biker, get shot in the face. Something like that.

Old 12-05-2012 | 08:17 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

Good on you for your action to assist the biker that got hit.

I think i would have followed the guy but called 911 to assist in case the guy was going to get wild or crazy etc.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with people?