Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with people?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012 | 08:26 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roger That
Yes the police was informed EXACTLY where his truck was. He kept telling the cops it was at Dunkin Donuts, I kept telling them it was at TD Bank.
In the minute or two that I was chasing him down, I must of had 50 different "outcome" scenario"s running through my mind. I was fully prepared when I decided to get out of my truck and step in front of his truck. I'm also former military and am capably equipped.
My adrenaline was at its peak when I caught up to him and thought better of a "confrontation". I didn't want to escalate the situation in the state of mind I was in at the time unless he had responded differently. I think he knew that I meant business and was fully prepared to respond accordingly if necessary. He didn't fight it, he knew he made a bad decision.
I didn't do anything that most all of you here wouldn't do also if and when you are put in that situation. I believe in karma. I may need someone to do it for me one day.
I didn't realize you were in a truck. I assumed you were on your bike. That is alot safer than if you were chasing him, blocking him and facing him down on your Harley. But, your military training undoubtedly taught you that whatever skills and weapons you may have, no confrontation situation can be totally controlled. Glad it worked out the way it did.

Old 12-05-2012 | 10:05 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

There's all kinds out there. Today I'm in the center lane a few seconds behind a guy over in the right-hand lane. Stop light is red and as I come up beside him, he takes off through the red and goes up a block or so and then turns left into a shopping center. I follow and it turns out we are both going to the same store, so I casually ask him if he realizes what he just did.

He tells me 'yeah, I just ran a red light' and before I can respond, he tells me he couldn't care less. I tell him that if a semi was going through and t-boned him he would, or what about a motorcycle? He says that he looked both ways and was tired of waiting at a light when there was no cross-traffic. So I told him that I was just a couple of seconds behind and know that he wasn't waiting at the light, and even if he had been, he still ran a red light and put himself and others at risk. Tells me again he couldn't care less and when I look at the back of his car, he says 'hey, take down my vehicle license number... in fact, get me a pen and I'll write down my drivers license.' I figure he's jerking my chain but I grab a pen and paper and sure enough, he writes down his license number, and then writes down his name and address. When I tell him I know that area and street, he tells me he's in the grey house, on the corner... just look for my car.

Got to say I thought about it all day; the guy was so indifferent in running that light, like he drives that way all the time, and then giving me all his personal information... what the heck? Of course, he likely realizes that there is nothing I can do legally... cop isn't going to give him a ticket or even a warning based on what I say and it's not like I'm going to knock on his door. Anything I wanted to say I could just say right there, why go look him up just to yell at him?

Kind of makes me speechless on how people can intentionally drive and pretty much get away with it... as a motorist that saw the whole thing, there was nothing I could do as a consequence to his actions and in his way, he was letting me know that.

Old 12-05-2012 | 10:28 PM
spizzyman
Road Master

You are one of the good guys. What you did should be the norm but sadly is not.

spiz

Old 12-05-2012 | 10:55 PM
roost812
Tourer

Good job. Being that it was a felony hit and run and you as a witness, a citizen arrest can be applied, however, in his defence he can claim not knowing then a whole different scenario can/will be heated. Be the best possible witness, take down all important info, call the police to handle the rest. Just saying. Again great job, if i was the one that was hit i would want you there. I thank you for your doing the right thing.

Old 12-06-2012 | 02:53 AM
Expat1
Road Master
From: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.

OP, your attitude deserves profound respect because you also exposed yourself to the "Injustice of Justice".

This situation affects defenseless individuals whilst many people laugh when they hear the saying: 'not seen - not taken - not guilty'. I also heard on local TV that 'lying is accepted as a means of defense'. Such practices were not in the Western Education I received and all I can say is Thank You for those of my generation.

Old 12-06-2012 | 03:46 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

OP:

Excellent job...I wish everyone cared as much about the injustice other people have pressed on them.

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
There's all kinds out there. Today I'm in the center lane a few seconds behind a guy over in the right-hand lane. Stop light is red and as I come up beside him, he takes off through the red and goes up a block or so and then turns left into a shopping center. I follow and it turns out we are both going to the same store, so I casually ask him if he realizes what he just did.

He tells me 'yeah, I just ran a red light' and before I can respond, he tells me he couldn't care less. I tell him that if a semi was going through and t-boned him he would, or what about a motorcycle? He says that he looked both ways and was tired of waiting at a light when there was no cross-traffic. So I told him that I was just a couple of seconds behind and know that he wasn't waiting at the light, and even if he had been, he still ran a red light and put himself and others at risk. Tells me again he couldn't care less and when I look at the back of his car, he says 'hey, take down my vehicle license number... in fact, get me a pen and I'll write down my drivers license.' I figure he's jerking my chain but I grab a pen and paper and sure enough, he writes down his license number, and then writes down his name and address. When I tell him I know that area and street, he tells me he's in the grey house, on the corner... just look for my car.

Got to say I thought about it all day; the guy was so indifferent in running that light, like he drives that way all the time, and then giving me all his personal information... what the heck? Of course, he likely realizes that there is nothing I can do legally... cop isn't going to give him a ticket or even a warning based on what I say and it's not like I'm going to knock on his door. Anything I wanted to say I could just say right there, why go look him up just to yell at him?

Kind of makes me speechless on how people can intentionally drive and pretty much get away with it... as a motorist that saw the whole thing, there was nothing I could do as a consequence to his actions and in his way, he was letting me know that.
If ya feel that strongly you can sign a citizens citation and he can be served with it. You'll have to go to court and testify against him. Lot of trouble, but he's a jerk.

Old 12-06-2012 | 07:18 AM
CHIPPDOG77
Cruiser

Pretty much the same thing happened to a buddy of mine on his lowrider last year. No one would chase the guy down or even get his number.Meanwhile my buddy has surgery on his foot,out of work all the bit. Just a month or so later ,his wife sees the car matching what he said hit him.They call the cops and it turns out to be an 80 something year old man that owns the ford dealership in our town.Said he thought he hit something but didnt realize it was SOMEONE. like it matters.All taken care of now and he is back walking and working.

Old 12-06-2012 | 09:31 AM
jeg607
Cruiser

Thanks for caring enough to take the action you did. Not many people do that now-a-days. Like other posters have said, I hope someone like you does that if I'm the one who's been hit.

Old 12-06-2012 | 09:42 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior

Almost 20 years ago, in college, a fraternity brother of mine got blindsided by a car walking home on the side street from a party (no sidewalks). His legs were shattered and he had to spend a lot of time in the hospital and PT and the whole thing. I think he was just a sophomore at the time. He spent the rest of his college career in crutches. I haven't talked to him in a while, but I'm sure he still has a hard time walking.

The guy who did it was a hit and run and never got caught.

Old 12-06-2012 | 09:47 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

Way to go! I think most people wouldn't have done what you did. BTW, did he really have a flat tire? I'm guessing he didn't want his truck seen or searched for some reason.

I have a philosophy (or rant) I have cultivated over the past 10 years or so. My wife (God bless her) gets to hear it all the time. I call it the "me first generation". In a nutshell, it's how nobody waits their turn anymore, everyone expects instant gratification, and laments how civility has left our society for the most part. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you.

I tip my hat to you for doing the right thing.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with people?