Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM
bichaum
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner Help!

I know this topic has been beat to death; however I am looking for some advice from those who know a hell of alot more than myself on these. I only want to do this once.I have a 2010 Street glide (3000kms) with the vance and hines power duals and 4" round Rinehart slip ons. I am putting the screamin eagle heavy breather on the bike also. In the future probably go with cams. My question is what would be the best bang for my buck in a tuner that would give the best performance with what I have. Thanks in advance

Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by bichaum
I know this topic has been beat to death; however I am looking for some advice from those who know a hell of alot more than myself on these. I only want to do this once.I have a 2010 Street glide (3000kms) with the vance and hines power duals and 4" round Rinehart slip ons. I am putting the screamin eagle heavy breather on the bike also. In the future probably go with cams. My question is what would be the best bang for my buck in a tuner that would give the best performance with what I have. Thanks in advance
Bang for the buck, incl future service= www.fuelmotousa.com If money is no object an ECM replacement tuner is the way to go.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

I like the Dynojet Power Commander 5. Look online for your build, download the program and load it to your bike. When you change the build, change the program. No dealership required. If you can post online you can download and program your PCV

I use the PC USB3 on my '03 and didn't think twice about Power Commander for the new bike. Dynojet Power Vision seems to be popular but was a ltlle more than I wanted. I am satisfied with my PCV on my '12 Ultra Limited, V&H Power Duals & Monster Rounds, K&N Filter

Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM
mr396
Cruiser

I have experience with three different ECM or tuners, the Power Commander 3 (on a 2006 soft tail), the SERT and ThunderMax w/ Autotune on my 2008 Ultra. The power commander was fine and works good. The SERT was terrible, even after several dyno tunes it still decel popped, etc. The ThunderMax I have had the best luck with even with no dyno-tune. The throttle response is much better and no decel pops. I have even changed out cams, loaded a new map and it runs great. Very flexible, easy to use interface, and the service is fantastic from Zippers/Thundermax.

The Thundermax replaces your stock ECM and is not a piggy back unit like Power commander. One thing you will need to do is have the right size "bung" in your exhaust for wide band O2 sensors. HD stock uses narrow band O2 sensors which only measure O2 levels in the exhaust in a very narrow range. The wide band can accurately measure it over a wider O2 range.

just my 2 cts

Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Tanker2
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 2012 Ultra Classic, 103. V&H power duals, 4" Rineharts, and S&S Stage 1 Air Cleaner. Just about the same setup your talking about. I bought a Power Commander V from Fuelmoto. They are good to work with. I got a map from them. Map comes installed. Bike has not been dinoed, but could be with the PCV. It's easy to change your map and they will work with you. You have to have a lap top if you want to change your map yourself. Power Commander is about $300. Screaming Eagle race tunner was priced to me a $460 and needs to be Dinoed at about $240. I've gotten along fine with the PCV, but the only thing I don't like about it is you have to unhook you O2 Sensors. With the race tuner they stay hooked up. So it's just a matter of money and how close you want your bike to run perfect. Just my opinion.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

It really depends on what the best dyno tuner in your area uses/likes. All the canned maps and/or auto tuners can't beat a proper dyno tune.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

hot all dyno tuners can beat a good canned map,BANG FOR BUCK pcv from fuelmoto.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
bichaum
Intermediate

Wow this is the help I am looking for. Very much appreciated, nice to hear it from the die hards who have been there done that!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My 09 SG had a PCV from Fuel Moto with a loaded map, ran perfect. Very good customer service too. I had stock headers with 3.5" Rineharts and hi flow A/C. I just bought some 4" Rineharts for my RKC, when I get my hi flow A/C I might go with the FM micro tuner (Dynojet). I think its $200.00 and is probably all I'll ever need. It's pretty much PCV lite.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yet more ideas. I've had the PC III on my 05 Ultra with a downloaded map from FuelMoto with slip-ons and SE AC. Bike ran great. Later I put in a 95" kit, cams, SE cam plate with larger oil pump and a SERT with dyno. Bike ran very well but did have some decel popping. Had it dyno'd twice.

On my 13 CVO Ultra I replaced the header and exhaust with Fuelmoto's Jackpot and cermaic coated header. I went with the PowerVision from dynojet. Yep, Fuelmoto preloaded a map that ran just fine with the new pipes. Nice thing about the PV is that it reflashed the ECM and doesn't piggy back. Also, you can leave the PV attached to the handlebars and see all kings of gauges (I leave mine on to see engine temp, trip economy, fuel use, rpm, to name a few). The real beauty of this product is that you can have it monitor the current map and make auto-tune suggestions, then decide to reapply them or not to a new map. I'm not a mechanic, don't fully understand tuning and feel totally comfortable doing this with this product. You can backup your maps (up to six on the device) and it has worked flawlessly! The product works with the narrow band 02 sensors or you can get wide band from Fuelmoto also.

I assume if I took the bike to a very good tuner they might be able to squeeze more out of the bike, but I dont' ride so hard that I think it would make that much of a difference. I'd call Fuelmoto and talk to them. They will explain the complete differences of your options between PC and PV if that's the route you want to go.

Joe

Quick Reply: Tuner Help!