Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you're lookin' for every last bit of race horsepower I'd suggest either the Power Vision with Auto Tune, or Thundermax with Auto Tune. I had a PC-III from Fuel Moto. Good product & good people, always available to send a new map if I made any changes. The problem was that the maps were "close". I took the bike to the dyno twice (& spent almost as much as the Thundermax cost) & got a little better tune. The bike was still hot & less than smooth.

I bought a Thundermax Auto Tune (from Fuel Moto, they're good people) & solved my problems. The preloaded map was close enough to let the auto tune start making changes. The bike smoothed out immediately, & runs the best it has in 5 years. Any changes I make in the future can be adjusted to without arguing with some dyno operator that wants to make a drag bike out of my Road Glide.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Many tmes, they will help you out as it's generally in their best interest to do so. Many times, the Pc5 was bought from them to begin with.
I can't say enough good about them.
How often do you see that kind of service these days?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,550 Likes on 22,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
Not too often.
That is one of the reasons why they are so successful.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
Not often enough! Even though the PC-III I purchased from them ultimately didn't satisfy me I knew it wasn't Fuel Moto's fault. They did everything I asked of them, the PC-III was just the wrong tuner for me. I never gave a thought to purchasing my Thundermax from anyone else. More business' should learn that a little time & courtesy will pay off even if they don't make you a buck right then.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM
SkipCarey
Tourer

How much is the power vision with auto tune?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 AM
bichaum
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jlacasci
From what I've learned over the years, tuning a bike on a dyno requires the person to know the tuner quite well. In my experience the HD dealer I go to (they do a lot of engine ywork) only tune with the HD tuner (that's all they know). I won't guess how good their one guy is or not.

I have a very good relationship with my dealer. I had them install the header pipe, exhaust and even the Power Vision. They had not seen the power vision yet and they were impressed. In fact, they were a little taken aback that this thing reflashes the ECM and didn't have to stay attached to the bike. The loaded the map download to the ECM from FuelMoto, test rode. Their immediate reaction was "Oh wow, this thing is going to change the game and give the HD tuner a run for it's money". It really is easy to use, doesn't require a computer any longer to tune.

Thousands of us are using these products. I'm sure there are some folks that mess things up by using a wrong map. But with the piggy back style, just unplug it. If it's the PV, it saves the original factory ECM - just put it back.

I understand the dealers point. I got the header, exhaust and tuner for under 1500.00. The PV can be licensed for extra bikes even though it's married to your bike for a nominal fee of 100.00 (I think).

If I were to purchase an exhaust from HD, or even aftermarket, add in the HD tuner I'm sure it would cost a bit more than 1500.00 now add in a few hours of dyno time at 85.00 an hour. Lost income to the dealer. Heck, they charge 150.00 just to flash your ECM with a new map. I can do that with the PV in 10 seconds. If you did work later to your bike with the HD tuner (ie... cams, heads) you have to put it back on the dyno again.

comparing apples to apples, I still believe a very good tuner with dyno will probably squeeze more out of the bike. I'd just rather have the control in my hands, do the auto tune myself, learn a little myself, and save hundreds of dollars.

Joe
Holy Chit thanks for taking the time to explain

Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 01-18-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 AM
bichaum
Intermediate

In conversation with Jamie from Fuel Moto, I asked for his opinion and he recommended the power vision. Thank you guys for your input it is nice to see the die hards come out and help a brother out

Old 12-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

For me, most bang for the buck + great customer support + variety + military/public service discount = Dobeck Performance (www.dobeckperformance.com). I've owned/used two of their tuners so far & these little "magic boxes" are fantastic.

Also, here's a comparison page on their tuner vs. others so you can do some research: http://www.electronicjetkit.com/EFIcontrollers.asp

Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bichaum
In conversation with Jamie from Fuel Moto, I asked for his opinion and he recommended the power vision. Thank you guys for your input it is nice to see the die hards come out and help a brother out
Great choice, the PV is the S H I T!