Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster ovals or rounds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I put the ovals on my 09 and now my 12. I really like the sound and look.

Be Safe JIM

Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the rounds on my 2004 Road king, and I love them, look great and with the headers they soung great!!! Cant get enough of that big low rumble.

Attached Thumbnails Monster ovals or rounds?-022.jpg   Monster ovals or rounds?-015.jpg   Monster ovals or rounds?-031.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Had the ovals on, went with extended bags and fender, swapped out for the rounds, in my case the ovals were slightly deeper sounding, the extended *** end eliminated the ovals as an option, I would go with the ovals, as mentioned turn the caps, to line up with the cut on the bags,

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 AM
warking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put the ovals on mine. great sound and i think the ovals look really cool.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

Have the Monster Ovals on my '03 and wanted to try the Monster Rounds on my new '12 because I like the looks of the rounds better than the ovals. The ovals have gotten a little loader as they have seasoned, and I hope the rounds do too. Performance is great in both but I never see any claims from V&H for the Rounds so assume the Ovals have the better performance numbers.

Attached Thumbnails Monster ovals or rounds?-harleys.jpg   Monster ovals or rounds?-pictureflhtk1.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 AM
danny54
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I just put the V&H power duals, with Kuryakyn crushers, Very happy, crushers are made by V&H , I think there the best looking mufflers on the market, Trident tips.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,117 Likes on 22,587 Posts

Flip a coin, it's a either or..

Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Skidbiker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spizzyman
This looks to be a "I like mine the best" thread, and I will not disappoint. I have had the Ovals twice (two bikes) and love em. I actually like the black end caps better than the chrome but this bike came from the showroom floor with chrome.

spiz
I agree. Just jumping on the "mine's the best" bandwagon since I'm not out riding.

I had the same dilemma and went with ovals with the V&H Power Dual headpipe for no apparent reason. Just had to make a decision. It's not loud but is deep and I'm happy with the performance. Bike is definitely responsive. And I really like the looks.

Hadn't thought about flipping the end caps. Interesting.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:40 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Monster rounds on mine, see link in my sig for you tube of exhaust at idle. I have pulled the baffles out and removed the packing from the baffles, so it is deeper sounding.

If I was doing it again, MGS true duals. Just preference.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems most automotive tailpipes/muffler tips are round. Just an observation.

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
The ovals have gotten a little loader as they have seasoned, and I hope the rounds do too.
Fiberglass packing, that's all it is.

Performance is great in both but I never see any claims from V&H for the Rounds so assume the Ovals have the better performance numbers.
Why assume? If the baffle is the same, it's just chamber shape. And if the chamber volume is the same, or even if not, I bet it's .5 hp. Anyway performace exhaust pipes are always round so maybe there is an argument for Rounds for that extra .5hp, lol.

Quick Reply: Monster ovals or rounds?