Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted gas cap lock on 08 EGC

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012 | 11:16 AM
LOTL
|
Cruiser
Default Busted gas cap lock on 08 EGC

Went out this morning to ride the bike over to the storage garage i use and i tried opening the locking gas cap cover and it turned real hard. I should have gotten the heat gun, but like the bull in a china shop i am at times i forced the key.

The key turned but the latch never opened.
So i just spent the last hour or so, trying to use a brass feeler gauge as suggested here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fuel-door.html but no luck.

I also thought maybe i could remove the chrome cover on top of the tank and access it from the back. I had a look in my service manual and it just says to remove the seat, remove the one hex head bolt and the one socket head cap screw from the front of the cover. Did all that and it seems like something under the gas cover is keeping it from coming off.

Before i have to shell out the dough to the dealer or a locksmith, im wondering if anyone here has any idea on how to get the thing open without prying or forcing it.

Old 12-02-2012 | 11:35 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Slip a long screwdriver under the console from the front of the tank & trip the lock with that. Be careful not to scratch the tank.

Old 12-02-2012 | 11:40 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

then get the push button

Old 12-02-2012 | 12:10 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
then get the push button
Do not get this one 53842-00C ... You will be much happier with 53919-04A, it requires no key of any type, just push the button and the door releases!
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 12-02-2012 | 03:09 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain

I would second the one without the key. I have the one that uses the key and it works but can be a pain to open.

Though sometimes I lock the fuel tank but 98% of the time I dont.

Old 12-02-2012 | 03:48 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Frogprince
I would second the one without the key. I have the one that uses the key and it works but can be a pain to open.

Though sometimes I lock the fuel tank but 98% of the time I dont.
A friend & I both have the ones with the key. We never lock our own, but if the other guy ain't lookin' we sneak over & lock his........

Old 12-03-2012 | 06:41 AM
LOTL
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jinks
Slip a long screwdriver under the console from the front of the tank & trip the lock with that. Be careful not to scratch the tank.
Thanks Jinks out of town for the week. Will give this a shot next weekend. Yeah i had read through the entire thread i posted and it looks like ill be going with either the Kuryaken or the HD non-locking one. Still not sure about leaving the gas tank unlocked and the HD locking push button combo doesnt seem all that great.
Will let you know how the screw driver trick works.

Old 12-03-2012 | 07:12 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LOTL
Thanks Jinks out of town for the week. Will give this a shot next weekend. Yeah i had read through the entire thread i posted and it looks like ill be going with either the Kuryaken or the HD non-locking one. Still not sure about leaving the gas tank unlocked and the HD locking push button combo doesnt seem all that great.
Will let you know how the screw driver trick works.
Actually I like the locking unit. Don't use it much, but it's handy when I have to leave the bike in a motel parking lot. There are five barrel locks on my bike. A couple of times a year I squirt a little lube in each & rotate them a few times. That's kept a batch of '07 locks workin' pretty well.

Old 12-03-2012 | 07:14 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LOTL
Went out this morning to ride the bike over to the storage garage i use and i tried opening the locking gas cap cover and it turned real hard. I should have gotten the heat gun, but like the bull in a china shop i am at times i forced the key.

The key turned but the latch never opened.
So i just spent the last hour or so, trying to use a brass feeler gauge as suggested here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fuel-door.html but no luck.

I also thought maybe i could remove the chrome cover on top of the tank and access it from the back. I had a look in my service manual and it just says to remove the seat, remove the one hex head bolt and the one socket head cap screw from the front of the cover. Did all that and it seems like something under the gas cover is keeping it from coming off.

Before i have to shell out the dough to the dealer or a locksmith, im wondering if anyone here has any idea on how to get the thing open without prying or forcing it.
Mine broke about 4yrs ago. I used a thin piece of stiff plastic between the cover and console. Fiddled with it for awhile and finally got it opened. Put the HD push button on. No problems since.

Last edited by Dionicio; 12-03-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2012 | 01:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member

The console won't come off because the filler cap is holding it on. That lock is universal, not keyed to match, so I would just replace it, when you finally get the darned thing off. Shouldn't cost too much.

Quick Reply: Busted gas cap lock on 08 EGC