Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Titan56
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs reprogramming

Yesterday I went Harley to pickup some parts. I said I wanted to put a bigger custom front wheel on my streetglide but is has abs and wanted to know how much it was for a reprogram. He went in the back and asked a tech I assuming and came back and told me it does not need to be reprogrammed it reads off the wheel bearings. Being a tech by trade I said im sorry but hes wrong. The front and rear wheels compare them selfs to one another. If you put a bigger wheel on the wheel would spin slower and if you put a small wheel on it would spin faster. He said but it reads off the wheel bearing, I said it does not matter so does a car, if you were to put on one bigger tire on a car it would screw the abs all up and would not be safe. He said real cocky I think the guy in the back knows what hes talking about I said thats fine thanks anyway. Has anyone had any experience with putting on a bigger wheel on the front of an abs bike? Maybe im wrong but I think it would screw up the abs and the bike would not stop as you come to a stop and would be dangerous.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Johnny103ci
Cruiser

I had a 21" put on the front and a 17" on the rear with no ABS issues.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont some of the tuners take care of this??I think I saw something on this on Yaffes sight a while back.I have also heard some people just let it have the error code but then there is brake bias but I cant remember to which end.I have no real experience and am just going off of memory on things I have read wanting a similiar project in the future

speaking of sensing off of a wheel bearing -----------I know where the senser is but where does it actually read

Last edited by 3408pete; 12-02-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

I think you are over thinking this Titan.
It is simply a switch, and does not need to compare pulse width, or anything. No algorithyms-software needed. I would bet the system just goes on time, and if it doesn't see a rising or falling edge after so many ms, it releases the brakes and begins its pulsing which is preventing lock up. This can all be done with simple hardware.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

No offense I think you are a smart ***, it appears you had your preconceived opinion and it would not have matter what the writer/tech would have said.

Customers like you I advise to please tear my card up and please do not call or visit me again.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a 21" installed in Oct. about 2200 miles back and i have ABS. Nothing seems to nave changed, I now get a lot of " man i love that wheel".

Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by leicafish
No offense I think you are a smart ***, it appears you had your preconceived opinion and it would not have matter what the writer/tech would have said.

Customers like you I advise to please tear my card up and please do not call or visit me again.

maybe you could enlighten the ones of us that truly want to know then.Putting all the rumors to bed

Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

21" here too no problems with factory 16" rear wheel and ABS. Front end lowered to compensate.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Titan56
Cruiser

I am use to how a car abs system works and a car abs is very sensitive to tire ratio. One bit of lockup or speed change and it releases that wheel. Its like a tenth of a revaluation. I just assumed the bike abs is the same. Maybe I am wrong or maybe people dont really know how it works. Abs sensor is a two wire sensor that puts out a AC generated wave form that increases in size (on a scope) with speed then the abs module converts it to a pid of mph and compares to other wheels. So if the speed of one wheel one wheel deceases or stops the module releases the wheel. Unless the Harley abs perameter is more like 9/10ths of a revaluation before relases then that why there would be no issue with regular riding. I just rather be safe than sorry especially with my old lady on the back.

Last edited by Titan56; 12-02-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM
vzts4q
Road Master

Originally Posted by Titan56
I am use to how a car abs system works and a car abs is very sensitive to tire ratio. One bit of lockup or speed change and it releases that wheel. Its like a tenth of a revaluation. I just assumed the bike abs is the same. Maybe I am wrong or maybe people dont really know how it works. Abs sensor is a two wire sensor that puts out a AC generated wave form that increases in size (on a scope) with speed then the abs module converts it to a pid of mph and compares to other wheels. So if the speed of one wheel one wheel deceases or stops the module releases the wheel. Unless the Harley abs perameter is more like 9/10ths of a revaluation before relases then that why there would be no issue with regular riding. I just rather be safe than sorry especially with my old lady on the back.
I believe that car systems are that way because of the stability control systems that are on most new cars (stabilitrak on GM cars) I think that the system on bikes only senses that a wheel is about to lock up. Now on bike with integrated braking I would imagine it works the way cars do.

Quick Reply: Abs reprogramming