Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Montubes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Boyer8
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Progressive Montubes

I pulled my forks off to have my lowers powdered black. So, I thought while it's apart this is a good time to upgrade.

I got the kit from easternperformance.com which btw I love there site they seem to have a lot of good deals. I got the kit to drop the front end 1-2 inches. I thought I ordered the standard kit but I made the mistake. So, to fix my mistake I installed the lowering kit and will be putting a 21" wheel on the front. I had been thinking of it anyway but now I have to do it...lol

A few notes for anyone installing the monotubes.

1. You'll need a 1 3/8 wrench (not common to the avg garage) for the amount of uses you'll have for this big of a wrench harbor freight will do the trick.

2. You'll need a piece of PVC pipe 2" in diameter and about 2' long. You can pick up a 2' long piece at Home Depot for a couple bucks. Cut it down the middle about 15"s length wise. You will need this when you go back together to reinstall the seal. Cutting it down the middle will allow it to go around your inner fork.

3. The kit comes with 1 bottoming cup. I have a 2013 Street Glide from reading on the forums the bottoming cup is for older Road Kings. SO if you have a SG you will have to reuse your original bottoming cups. Directions weren't really clear about that.

4. When you remove the cap from the top of the forks with the 1 3/8 wrench you will then loosen the pinch bolt to slide your fork out. Do not slide the fork completely out yet. Slide it down about 6"s and tighten your pinch bolt up again to hold the fork in place. Then break the inner fork tube cap loose. Once the fork is removed you will not be able to hold the fork tight enough to break it loose. And you won't want to put it in a vise and risk cause damage to it. Once you break it loose do not remove the cap yet. Loosen your pinch bolt and remove the fork.

5. Once the fork is removed and you drained the fluid. Look at the fork from the bottom there is a 6mm allen bolt that needs removed. This needs removed before you remove the inner fork cap to remove the spring. If not the 6mm bolt will just sit there and spin.

With these notes in mind and your HD service manual it it pretty easy.

I like to rate things on a skill level between 1-10 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest. After completing this job I would have to rate it and everything involved with it about a 4.

These forums have given me a lot of knowledge and I hope my notes will help someone else in the future.