Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics and Sony...anyone tried a different head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 AM
UltraDune
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Biketronics and Sony...anyone tried a different head unit?

I have the Biketronics kit in my '11 FLTRX and using a Sony head unit that needs to be replaced (rain!!). I know they say only Sony units will work but had anyone tried a different brand? Just curious cause I have everything apart for painted inner fairing, guages etc. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you like the Sony??? If so why not just buy another and then spend $20 and get the Biketronics splash guard.

Biketronics makes a different RetroRadio kit for multi-brands. Not sure exactly what you would need to do it with your Sony specific kit. If it is even possible. Would be best to call Biketronics direct and ask them.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How long ago did you buy the retro kit? Maybe biketronics will let you send it back and exchange it for the universal kit. I'm pretty sure the Sony one will not work on other head units.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Not sure about biketronics, however I have replaced two kenwood units on my aftermarket fairing, this last time I went with a SonyMS 60, I read on the biketronics website someone did the same unit. Not as much power on the preamp outs as the kenwood so I'm going to install a line driver, the unit is nice and simple to operate, marine grade.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I have the universal kit and a kenwood head unit. I believe the sony kit only works with sony. I went with the universal kit so i wouldn't be locked in.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 AM
UltraDune
Cruiser

Thanks for the replys. I bought the kit from them, the head-unit at Walmart. I will have to ck if I have the Sony only kit or the universal one. Nothing wrong with the Sony, I had the ipod tray thing inside, was just going to try another brand.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM
EZSkankin29
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraDune
Thanks for the replys. I bought the kit from them, the head-unit at Walmart. I will have to ck if I have the Sony only kit or the universal one. Nothing wrong with the Sony, I had the ipod tray thing inside, was just going to try another brand.
How did you like the head unit before it got damaged? I like that iPod hook up and LED screen. I read some reviews on the Sony site and alot of people complained about connection issues.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM
UltraDune
Cruiser

Head-unit worked well and I like the fact of having my ipod inside, out of sight. I also run the RF amp so I can't comment on the power of the unit without the amp. For the price you cant beat it, and if it does start to give out like mine is, just buy another one. Mine has taken alot of rain/dew etc. but the the nail in the coffin was monsoon like rain overnight, outside uncovered. My fault, not really a indication of Sony quality because it had seen alot of abuse prior.