Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about CVO SE Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leicafish
I understand, Tip my hat, Sorry no malice.
No sweat brother, just explaining, guess my first response was not clear enough.

I'm here to learn like everyone else.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
I'm looking at 2 different take-off CVO SE mufflers for my Ultra. The mufflers look identical on the outside except one has the chrome end caps and the other has the black end caps. When looking at the output end, there is a difference.

On one, the inner baffle (small pipe) ends well inside the muffler like in top pic below. You could take off the end cap, and the baffle would still not be protruding past the end of the bare muffler itself.

On the other muffler in bottom pic, the baffle portion (small pipe) protrudes well past the bare muffler and almost to the end of the end cap. I know this one came off a 2013 CVO Road Glide.

Does anyone know why these two seemingly similar mufflers are different in baffle/inner pipe length? I wonder if it would make a difference in the sound at all. Although I am buying these more for cosmetic rather than sound reasons, it just seems strange that they are so different. Any ideas why?

Zen I currently have the top mufflers on my CVO. I slightly modified them, took about $5 in materials and 90 mins tops. I cut the middle of the baffles out with a dremel. The full baffle is still intact but there is a restrictor type plug in the middle of the baffle I removed. The sound is very mild, however, I find it much more appealing then the stock silent sound. They are quiet but got some throatiness. Anyway here is a thread should you go that route.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74847.0

Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I went all through this a few years ago. Only the 2006 mufflers had the cats.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

I fully expect these mufflers to be as quiet as my regular mufflers. That's the reason I'm looking at these OEM take-offs instead of aftermarket. I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like regular/quieter pipes on a touring bike.
then you'll be really happy with these. they are actually quieter than the stock pipes. i put them on the wife's bike, and with the 2'' fullsac baffles, they sound great

Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
then you'll be really happy with these. they are actually quieter than the stock pipes. i put them on the wife's bike, and with the 2'' fullsac baffles, they sound great
It's true, my stock 09 FLHX sounded louder IMO

Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
Zen I currently have the top mufflers on my CVO. I slightly modified them, took about $5 in materials and 90 mins tops. I cut the middle of the baffles out with a dremel. The full baffle is still intact but there is a restrictor type plug in the middle of the baffle I removed. The sound is very mild, however, I find it much more appealing then the stock silent sound. They are quiet but got some throatiness. Anyway here is a thread should you go that route.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74847.0
Thanks Jswerve, this is a great idea. It looks like "Ultrarider1" lives in my area too.

Looks pretty simple. Am I correct in that you just run the wheel around the inside of the tube until it eventually cuts through the tube and releases the plug? Kinda like a pipe cutter working from the inside out.

P.S. Mucho thanks to everyone else who replied to this thread.

Last edited by ZenGlide; 11-30-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Jswerve, this is a great idea. It looks like "Ultrarider1" lives in my area too.

Looks pretty simple. Am I correct in that you just run the wheel around the inside of the tube until it eventually cuts through the tube and releases the plug? Kinda like a pipe cutter working from the inside out.

P.S. Mucho thanks to everyone else who replied to this thread.
Just go about 1/4" down into the plug it is basically welded to the baffle and begin your cut there. Use a good reinforced cutting wheel.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

my baffles were only held in by 2 tackwelds. much different than the ones shown here. i believe the take offs i got were from a 2011, but not sure.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scratch they are all held in with just 2 tack welds, they are talking about just removing the center plug not the baffle. The baffle is as long as the muffler and the plug is probably 6". I was told to use a 1 1/4" hole saw to do the same thing.

Last edited by pontiac69; 12-01-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:31 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

hard to tell when you can't see the pics.

Quick Reply: Question about CVO SE Mufflers