Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about CVO SE Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can shed some light on this. I initially bought a set of 2011 cvo pipes and they were identical to the first picture you have. I was planning on removing the stock baffles and putting the fullsac cores in em but i messed up the pipe grinding down the weld. I then found out that fullsac baffles will work with any cvo mufflers from 2006-present so i found a set of 2007 mufflers that look identical to the ones on the bottom pic. Turns out that the ones similar to the bottom had a catalyst material built into the muffler and thats what caused it to stick out so far on the end. When i cracked the seam and pulled the guts out, sure enough there was catalyst material in it. What i ended up doing was just leaving a straight pipe with no baffles and put the 2011 end caps with the black slotted lines on ghe 2007 mufflers and with the cobra head pipe, it sounds amazing! I wish i had known before i did this because the 2011 mufflers cost me $300 and the 2007 mufflers cost me $65 and they are the exact same except for the insides. So im guessing based on what the other person mentioned about the 2013 mufflers looking like the lower pic is that h-d must have added a catalyst in the 2013s?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eshaw301
I can shed some light on this. I initially bought a set of 2011 cvo pipes and they were identical to the first picture you have. I was planning on removing the stock baffles and putting the fullsac cores in em but i messed up the pipe grinding down the weld. I then found out that fullsac baffles will work with any cvo mufflers from 2006-present so i found a set of 2007 mufflers that look identical to the ones on the bottom pic. Turns out that the ones similar to the bottom had a catalyst material built into the muffler and thats what caused it to stick out so far on the end. When i cracked the seam and pulled the guts out, sure enough there was catalyst material in it. What i ended up doing was just leaving a straight pipe with no baffles and put the 2011 end caps with the black slotted lines on ghe 2007 mufflers and with the cobra head pipe, it sounds amazing! I wish i had known before i did this because the 2011 mufflers cost me $300 and the 2007 mufflers cost me $65 and they are the exact same except for the insides. So im guessing based on what the other person mentioned about the 2013 mufflers looking like the lower pic is that h-d must have added a catalyst in the 2013s?
The catalyst are in the head pipes

Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
My 07 had the Catalyst in the muffler, That is why the dealer can make the statement on the 09 and above "use any slip-on you like===They will all work"

Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know they used to put the cat in the muffler, but now put them in the head pipes. My 2012 Ultra has them in the pipe. I would be surprised if they were putting them in the muffler again. All I know is that the pipes in the bottom pic definitely came off a 2013 RG... I saw the bike.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by leicafish
My 07 had the Catalyst in the muffler, That is why the dealer can make the statement on the 09 and above "use any slip-on you like===They will all work"
I know this, I specifically quoted Eshaw for a reason, I know him and know he has a newer bike, "HIS" cats are in the header!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
You have a California bike that's why you probably have the cat in the '07 muffler. I just bought a used pair of '07 take-off mufflers from a '07 SG and although the right and left look different from each other on the inside I didn't see a cat in either of them.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i recently swap my Supertrap fro CVO 4". I love the look and the sound is very nice. It's not loud but you can hear it good and for an old little 88", these pipes are not really restrictive...

Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep you're right. But the 2007 cvo mufflers I bought had them in the muffler itself and the end protruded out just like they do in the op second picture. IM thinking that if the 2013 have the same pipe, maybe they have the cat in the muffler as well as in the header too? I have to go to the deer tomorrow to get tags for my wife's new bike and I will look at the 2013 and see if it looks different from a 2012. If not then it might just be a cali thing?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Eshaw301
Yep you're right. But the 2007 cvo mufflers I bought had them in the muffler itself and the end protruded out just like they do in the op second picture. IM thinking that if the 2013 have the same pipe, maybe they have the cat in the muffler as well as in the header too? I have to go to the deer tomorrow to get tags for my wife's new bike and I will look at the 2013 and see if it looks different from a 2012. If not then it might just be a cali thing?
That's what I'm saying bro, the cat is in the header not the muffler.

It is my understanding there was just a change to their baffle design on the CVO pipes. Let us know what you find out.

FM

Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I know this, I specifically quoted Eshaw for a reason, I know him and know he has a newer bike, "HIS" cats are in the header!
I understand, Tip my hat, Sorry no malice.

Quick Reply: Question about CVO SE Mufflers