Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? For u touring folks

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Wander
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ? For u touring folks

Good buddy of mine bought a 08 Street Glide with stock pipes and an S&S air cleaner already installed. When he installs new slip ons will be need a fuel pack of some kind?
I didn't think he would but I don't know enough about the S&S product line and I don't want to lead him astray.
Thanks

Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not necessary to install a fuel management device. The bike can adjust for the changes.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wander
Good buddy of mine bought a 08 Street Glide with stock pipes and an S&S air cleaner already installed. When he installs new slip ons will be need a fuel pack of some kind?
I didn't think he would but I don't know enough about the S&S product line and I don't want to lead him astray.
Thanks
Nope not necessary. Missed the fact that you had already changed A/C so I say yes, get a tuner

Last edited by Jswerve; 11-27-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Armstronges
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the air cleaner is a stage one cleaner and not just a cover then he really should already have a fuel management system.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Armstronges
If the air cleaner is a stage one cleaner and not just a cover then he really should already have a fuel management system.
Stage 1 A\C w\no tuner ok, slip on's w\no tuner ok, Stage 1 A\C and slip on's, you should have something to richin things up IMO.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KSGLIDEGUY
It's not necessary to install a fuel management device. The bike can adjust for the changes.
Originally Posted by Jswerve
Nope not necessary

I disagree. The bikes can make small changes, but both a/c and pipes are not small changes. One or the other, you might get away with it. But not both. I have the stock a/c and head pipes on my bike. I put a couple different slip-ons on it and it didn't really like them too much. The first set, without baffles, got a lot of decel popping and an occasional backfire. And no, there were no leaks. The Monster Rounds I have on now, also got a lot of decel pop. Remember, only changes to the bike were the addition of slip-on mufflers. Took it to the dealer and got the stage 1 download and the bike runs better than it ever has. No more popping, and where it struggled to get to 100 mph before (even with the stock mufflers), it now easily gets to 115. One of these days, I'm gonna be brave enough to see if it'll hit the 120 mark. I also get about 10 more miles to the tank now as a side benefit. The bike is an otherwise stock 96".

So in my humble opinion, a stage 1 download is the very minimum you should get when changing both a/c and pipes.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It will run cooler, potentially get better mileage and he won't be leaving hp on the table. Recommended.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wander
Thanks
buy a V&H fuel pack for 200 bucks - install & program yourself in 30 minutes or less -

Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been running two different exhausts beside the stock, and an SE air cleaner setup. It has never been tuned and runs well. Pulls well above 100, and gets 37-40mpg around town and 46-49mpg on two lanes. 40-43 on the big slab @ 80+
It rarely pops under any circumstance and they are smaller pops unlike old backfires of yesteryear. It's my understanding the stock ECM can and does make adjustments on its own. My guy said "it adjusts to your riding style". And, when I asked him about piggyback plug in tuners, he said to stay away from them.
So my junk is going on seven years and no tuners. No issues either. But it is bone stock including tensioners @ 53K. Tensioners on slate for change asap.
That's all I'm going to say about that.

aka Bob

Old 11-27-2012, 08:53 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Not to send him spending too much - get a tuner, a custom dyno tune and swap cams. Then walk away from the SE or aftermarket world. I did the 120R. it's awesome, but the 96" with cams [26H] SE Heavy Breather, and SE Street Performance mufflers were more than sufficient - IMO.

I was 89 HP, and 100 ft-lb. I bought the TTS. And the Dyno tune sets it up perfectly.

Quick Reply: ? For u touring folks