Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but I plan to plug up my bike and noticed a difference in the connectors. The quick-connect connector on my Sears tender looks like the plug on my bike, but it's quite a bit smaller in size. Do they come in different sizes? What is the connector name, so I can find an adapter.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
Not to hijack the thread, but I plan to plug up my bike and noticed a difference in the connectors. The quick-connect connector on my Sears tender looks like the plug on my bike, but it's quite a bit smaller in size. Do they come in different sizes? What is the connector name, so I can find an adapter.

Thanks
I run the sears 2amp 12v tender with no issues. Fitting is just snug takes a little Umph to push in.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Several I know swear by the plug it in every time you park it theory, a couple still have original batteries in their 04 and 06 bikes. you be the judge

Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Buff58
My bike came with a battery tender. I have never used it as I ride it to work most every day.
I have to go out of town for a couple of weeks. Do I need to hook it up?
How long can it set without the alarm draining the battery?
Thanks
Buff
I can't answer the question about the security system, but using a tender daily will make a battery last a long long time (even if you ride daily)

Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I plug mine in even when I'm riding every day.

Prior to buying the battery tender I was replacing batteries every two years. My current battery was installed in 2007 and is still going strong.

A friend of mine who uses battery tenders religiously just replaced the original battery on his girlfriend's '02 Fatboy and his '05 Dyna is still on its original battery.

Pretty convincing case for always using a battery tender IMHO.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FBFletch
I plug mine in even when I'm riding every day.

Prior to buying the battery tender I was replacing batteries every two years. My current battery was installed in 2007 and is still going strong.

A friend of mine who uses battery tenders religiously just replaced the original battery on his girlfriend's '02 Fatboy and his '05 Dyna is still on its original battery.

Pretty convincing case for always using a battery tender IMHO.
Sweet paint job Fletch!! I really dig that.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM
02Deuces
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPDOG77
If you have it, use it. Batteries are not cheap and using a tender wont hurt a thing.When i get off mine in the afternoon it gets plugged up whether it "needs" it or not.
same here....I look at it like this....I plug my cell phone up every day....Why not my bike? Help the charging system out a touch....When I hook it up it flashes RED for about 1 minute, then Green For another minute, then solid green (storage mode). Every day when I bust off my scoot, it seems like it doesn't even turn over it just starts....It's nice.

Last edited by 02Deuces; 11-27-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Daddy-Rabbit
5th Gear
Default Battery Tender

I have the .75amp BT Jr, plugged my 04 RKC in any time the tires were not rolling. The original battery lasted until April of 2012. In June of 2012 the battery would have been in active service for 8 years. Then bought a Deka aftermarket battery, they supposedly mfg the HD battery, used same process of plugging in anytime I was not riding. 6-1/2 months later, I have a bad cell in the battery. They will not warranty the battery, six months is the warranty from Deka. Green Mountain Battery will not answer the phone & will not respond to emails, nor return calls. Bought another HD Original Battery & will BT it when I am not riding.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Icetek
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
It may sound like "overkill" but ... Use the tender whenever your scooter is sitting in the garage ... On my older scooters (baggers) I was changing the batteries quite often ...after using the tender my 2009 is going on its' 5th season with no signs of failing ...
I have always used my tender when I parked the bikes.. 03, 05 and now an 09 in my old house's garages...if I was to go a few days without taking them out... not riding it was plugged in. At my new house I have to park outside so ran an extension cord for the tender most times. Then I put the bike on a Craftsman lift to work on brakes and tires and other stuff and it sat for more than a month without the tender because I forgot... Guess what.. when the work was done and wanted to test it out the battery would not start the bike and had to use a jumper battery. So after a 3 hour break-in ride (was only supposed to be a short 10 - 20 minute ride to check new wheels and brakes out but go figure....). Afterwards I put the tender back on on. Green light and it is back tending my battery. My Bike is also an 09 (FLHX) and has the stock battery. Needless to say i will figure out a way to get power near the bike so it is 'tended' while I'm not riding for at most a few days (max a week or two). A tender is the best thing in my opinion for your bike. Even before pipes and extra bling, etc...!!! as they are pretty cheap ($30+ for off market but I bought the HD one which cost more for the HD logo but probably work the same). Might look nice but if it doesn't start put a lamp shade on it and insure it as household furniture...

Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
I run the sears 2amp 12v tender with no issues. Fitting is just snug takes a little Umph to push in.
You were right. The one on the bike was a little bigger, but the contacts matched and it plugged right up with a little force. We must have the same Diehard charger. Mine will do either 12V/2A or 6V/4A. Thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply: Battery tender ?