Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Service Plan Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extended Service Plan Questions Answered

I’m getting ready to do some work on the scooter and my big hold back has been the effect it might have on the ESP. I have 5 years left, so I pulled out the paperwork and found the phone number at the bottom (here it is for the lazy guys/gals 800-527-7665 ex 411). I chose not to identify myself to him because I didn’t want my contract flagged; he just laughed but was willing to help. Heres the questions I asked and the answers I got:

Q) I do my own service; will that have a negative effect on the ESP?

A) You have to perform the maintenance as recommended by HD and keep the records by keep the receipts for the material and writing on them the date and mileage of each service. Keeping that stuff logged in the Owner’s Manual helps too.

Q) If I use a cleanable/reusable oil filter will that have a negative effect on the ESP?

A) We go by the manufacturer’s recommendation on those. If the manufacturer does not have a problem then we accept that, but if they do we will too.

Q) I want to do new cams, how does this affect my warranty?

A) If the cams come from HD and are not racing cams no harm to the ESP. The cams have to comply with the EPA so careful selection of HD stage two cams is ok.

Q) I want to change my exhaust head pipe; will that have a negative effect on the ESP?

A) So you want to get rid of the Cat? That’s ok as long as you comply with the EPA.

Q) I want to put a fuel tuner in the bike, will that have a negative effect on the ESP?

A) HD has the SE turner that is compliant with the EPA and will not void the ESP but others like Thudermax and Power Commander will void the coverage.

Q) I want to put a trailer hitch on the bike for towing a trailer, will that have a negative effect on the ESP?

A) Yes, installation of a trailer hitch will void the coverage immediately and without exception. The bikes are not designed for towing and it adds too much stress to every component.

Q) If I make a change that voids coverage, and the contract is canceled by HD will I be compensated for the remaining contract life?

A) Yes, you will be given a refund for any prorated time period remaining.

The guy was very friendly, helpful, and answered questions without any hesitation.

Thought I would share.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Bizarre. A fuel tuner in and of itself is not EPA compliant, a map is or isnt. Harley Super Tuners are used to put a non-compliant tune on the bike 99.99% of the time, otherwise, whats the point?

And what does complying with the EPA have to do with the warranty or reliability? So they are saying that if I put a "non epa compliant" header on my bike and the tranny goes out for some reason that they wont cover it? The two are not related.

I dont get it.

Last edited by Keithhu; 11-27-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just passing it along, in the end he did say several times that the dealership's opinion was what they relied on a lot of the time when there is questions about cause & effect. Get you know your service guys, approved indi or dealership and work with them i guess.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,111 Likes on 5,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Bizarre. A fuel tuner in and of itself is not EPA compliant, a map is or isnt. Harley Super Tuners are used to put a non-compliant tune on the bike 99.99% of the time, otherwise, whats the point?

And what does complying with the EPA have to do with the warranty or reliability? So they are saying that if I put a "non epa compliant" header on my bike and the tranny goes out for some reason that they wont cover it? The two are not related.

I dont get it.
they don't want to say its ok to ignore the epa mandates, that would be illegal and get them in trouble. a little lip service, going on there. also remember, a quick removal of such items as a add on tuner before inspection from adjusters should get ya by no problems. also if the shop is cool, they will go to bat for you and camouflage what needs to be

Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

by the way, nice report on very common questions, and misconceptions of extended warranty issues. So now we will only see these same questions 4,970,000 more times!!!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
they don't want to say its ok to ignore the epa mandates, that would be illegal and get them in trouble. a little lip service, going on there. also remember, a quick removal of such items as a add on tuner before inspection from adjusters should get ya by no problems. also if the shop is cool, they will go to bat for you and camouflage what needs to be
Right, I get that they wouldnt want to be saying negative things about EPA compliance, but it has nothing to do with it.

It's like saying its ok to have aftermarket mirrors as long as they are EPA compliant.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Imagepix
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My question is how can I find out what the refund is worth for any prorated time period remaining? Mine was purchased 2/28/2010 and is for 7 years at a cost of $1,664.00...

Thanks

Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

I wonder, if you call back and get a different person and ask the exact same questions........
Would you get the exact same answers?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
I wonder, if you call back and get a different person and ask the exact same questions........
Would you get the exact same answers?
+1...

Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

I would say most likely. their policies are written in their contracts as what is covered and whats not, I'm sure the liars, er lawyers go over that stuff with a fine tooth comb to protect themselves. anything not written down will be wide open to a lawsuit, and most likely have to pay out. its no different if you called your insurance company and asked questions for your collision. the warr. plan is just an insurance policy. from a private company, has nothing to do with HD

Quick Reply: Extended Service Plan Questions Answered