Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

York Plant Strike

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007 | 09:23 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: York Plant Strike

They aint my brothers...greedy thugs who shout down and threaten anybody who doesn't see things their way. I aint no rub..served 2 tours in the corps and had to bust my *** in this world.. but when I picked up a broom one day to sweep up some crap in the middle of the Shipyard cause us Ship-Fitters had nothin to do at that moment, and some Shop Steward/Goon comes runnin over yellin about how I shouldn't sweep anything cause some guy in the cleanin crew will get laid off, and it's better if I stand there with my thumb up my ***, well, that's when I knew that unions were a joke. And I will bash anyone who is a slaker in this world..Unions, unfortunately have been a haven for slakers who would never make it out of the union. Look around...unions are killin off the last of the manufacturing jobs in this country cause they think a guy who puts lug-nuts on a car/bike rates an upper-class life....

Old 02-01-2007 | 09:47 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

No thanks on a Union Job. I'm self-employed and answer only to myself these days. I was in a UNION as a younger lad, local 5 of the AFL-CIO at the General-Dynamics Shipyard in Quincy MA, (70's). The crap I saw in that union was all I needed to know about em. They sold us all out and the yard mngment finished us off...
I agree, I worked for a major oil company for 13 years and our Union did exactly the same thing to the lower 33 employee's out of 142 field operations people in our area. Theysold out jobs up to 20 years to give a little more for retirementto the 10 or15 at the top with more senority that were going to retire within 2 years. I also saw so much crap it would make you sick and I never agreed with there methods(always us against managment).I still work in the same trade non Union, make quite a bitmore money per hourwith better benifits without the politics and games.

You also have to look at all the Companys Unions have put out of buisness over the years, what good did that do the employee. Most Unions are out for themselves and use the employee as a tool for there own gain. Out of fairness this is not always the case, but I think in generalUnions havehurt them selves more in the past few years with thisus against them way of thinking.

Go ahead & fan the heck out of me, I can take it, I worked with some of the biggest Union bullies around for years.
Bill G

Old 02-01-2007 | 09:52 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

They aint my brothers...greedy thugs who shout down and threaten anybody who doesn't see things their way. I aint no rub..served 2 tours in the corps and had to bust my *** in this world.. but when I picked up a broom one day to sweep up some crap in the middle of the Shipyard cause us Ship-Fitters had nothin to do at that moment, and some Shop Steward/Goon comes runnin over yellin about how I shouldn't sweep anything cause some guy in the cleanin crew will get laid off, and it's better if I stand there with my thumb up my ***, well, that's when I knew that unions were a joke. And I will bash anyone who is a slaker in this world..Unions, unfortunately have been a haven for slakers who would never make it out of the union. Look around...unions are killin off the last of the manufacturing jobs in this country cause they think a guy who puts lug-nuts on a car/bike rates an upper-class life....
Again so true, well said, been there, seen all of that.

Like I said in another post. Go ahead &fan the heck out of me, I can take it, I worked with some of the biggest Union bullies around for years.
Bill G

Bill G

Old 02-01-2007 | 09:57 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who the hell do you think is gonna pay for the raises at HD. Got news for you. Its going to be the consumer. That means YOU!!! I pay skilled bricklayers $20.00 an hour, there are no benifits and they reach that rate after 4 years as a laborer and an apprentice. They work in the heat and the cold and they don't complain. There used to be bricklayer unions around here. No more. They priced there members out of work. All my guys pitch in and do anything to get the job done including me. Thats the way it works. UNIONS and there workers, you can keep them!!!!!

Old 02-01-2007 | 09:59 PM
debay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A union is a legal entity consisting of employees or workers having a common interest, such as all the assembly workers for one employer, or all the workers in a particular industry. A union is formed for the purpose of collectively negotiating with an employer (or employers) over wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment

Old 02-01-2007 | 10:08 PM
01Ultra
Cruiser

IMO... companies are doing there best to take away workers rights ,benefits and salaries.just when most of those workers are reaching the age where they were hoping to retire and enjoy what they were promised. they are sending jobs over sea to cut cost, save money.did it saved you any money when you went down to buy your new bike or chrome parts. I doubt it. has our taxes and insurance come down. do they care that you are set in your salary when it takes more just live day to day.do the ceo reject the large bonuses. they are more important than the workers on the floor. they are suppose to be part of theteam, that makes everyone amore comfortable life. I love to hear "I'll work for less"......the companies know they have us by the b*lls and we would never stick together so they continue to get more money while we struggle to get by. so don't b*tch when they rub their large profits and bonuses in your face and tell you they are cutting your healthcare and salary. Cause this being a free country you can alwayssell your Harleycausenot everyone can be aceo.

Old 02-01-2007 | 10:13 PM
debay
Tourer

If H-D moves to China does anyone thinkHarleys will be cheaper to buy????

Old 02-01-2007 | 10:18 PM
cjackson
Cruiser

Most components on a Harley are imported. Don't be surprised if they sell out like the rest of manufacturing in the U.S. It sad but Harley's will probably be made in China some day. It really pisses me off.

Old 02-01-2007 | 10:42 PM
xglide06
Advanced

Anyone not seen the decline of the big 3 car makers in the U.S.....tell me union labor is not the reason for the overpriced garbage that gets produced and is currently bankrupting and costing thousands there jobs

Old 02-01-2007 | 11:17 PM
christian0632
Tourer

Here's what unions do:

Mr Ford decides to make a car anddoes not needsomeone with a bachlors or masters degree to put lugnuts on wheels so he hires Goober and Vern. Business picks up so he hires Cleetus and Earl (and pays them all a fair wage for the job their doing). Along comes Mr Union Slug and tells Goober, Vern, Cleetus and Earl that they are now worth triple what Mr Ford is paying, so we'll organize and make threats to walk off the job if we don't get something more (even though we have no formal education andno critical skills). Goober agrees, Vern agrees somewhat, Cleetus doesn't agree but goes along with Uncle Goober and cousin Vern cause he thinks they are really smart, and Earl definitely disagrees but is screwed cause it's a majority vote. (that's ok, Earl will now cross thread every third lugnut to show them fellers he ain't one to be messed with!)

Unfortunately, Goober is an idiot and thinks Vern agreed cause Vern know what he's doing and the whole time Mr Union Slug is collecting dues from them and telling them to demand more money for their unskilled labor services or walk off the job and don't allow any otherperson (that would be happy to have any job) to work there.

So next thing ya' know, Mr Ford jacks up the price of the junkers Goober, Vern, Cleetus and Earl are slapping together and screws the general public just so Goober, Vern, Cleetus and Earl can all haveplasma TVs and vacation in the Bahamas (even though they are uneducated unskilled lugnut put-er on-er's).

But then one day the union puke tells Goob and the clan to demand and walk off the job but this time Mr. Ford says he can't meet their demands and is so tired of dealing with Mr Union Slug and their hillbilly a**es that he would just rather close up shop. Too bad for Goob and the gang, but luckily, Mr Union Slug made a fortune off of the Goober clan union duesthat now he can have a plasma TV and vacation in the Bahamas!

So thanks to the Union, Goober is back to milkin' goats, Vern is plukin' chickens, Cleetus is doing nothing but living off his mama, and Earl is sloppin' hogs, right where they all belong! All thanks to the Union!

See! Unions are good for something! Getting the hillbillys back to the hills!

Quick Reply: York Plant Strike