Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control Braking Device - Anyone use this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts
Default Traction Control Braking Device - Anyone use this?

I was surfing for information on Brembo brakes and came across this http://www.touringdepot.com/catalog/...55/5478241.htm
I have read several threads regarding retrofitting the Brembo ABS system. Perhaps this is an alternative?

Anyone using this?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Not sure there is a need for an alternative to the HD Brembo system, that is unless you don't have ABS at all.

I will be the first to admit that the HD Brembo system is, when compared to European anti-lock systems, not the brightest light on the tree. The HD system samples at a much lesser rate than a BMW system for instance. But as usual, Harley will do the absolute minimum to get by and then pass along the extra cost of doing it right to the customer.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't have the Brembo's so this device seems intriguing.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Learning to use the brakes effectively and safely when you're learning to ride or drive trumps any mechanical/electronic aid IMO.

Back in the "olden days" when I learned to ride/drive ABS didn't even exist - nor did seat belts (in the '49 Dodge I learned in, when I was seven). You either learned how to use the brakes or you quickly busted yer ***! Those were the options. Very effective learning aid!

One thing that helped me was that the bikes I learned to ride on had such poor brakes that it was virtually impossible to lock the front wheel anyway - so there's that.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Not sure there is a need for an alternative to the HD Brembo system, that is unless you don't have ABS at all.

I will be the first to admit that the HD Brembo system is, when compared to European anti-lock systems, not the brightest light on the tree. The HD system samples at a much lesser rate than a BMW system for instance. But as usual, Harley will do the absolute minimum to get by and then pass along the extra cost of doing it right to the customer.
The only saving grace with the MOCO's bikes is that the less-than-great ABS is optional, so if I ever do buy another Harley I won't be forced to have their ABS.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like you could get the same exact "benefit" by letting a little air in your braking system. No need to buy a device to do that. It appears to be a manufactured air bubble for your brake system.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I was just going to say the same thing...

Must have something to do with owning a Duece and an EG.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

I did some more reading on their web site and they do have some good testimonials from Harley riders and some magazines, although ones I am not familiar with. I was hoping someone on this forum had already tried them. They do have a money back guarantee so I guess I will give them a call and ask more questions. I did find from further reading that they have a TCB II so I need to find out more about what was improved.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 PM
kateean2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Learning to use the brakes effectively and safely when you're learning to ride or drive trumps any mechanical/electronic aid IMO.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has come up in threads in the past, this may be of interest to you

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ng-system.html

Quick Reply: Traction Control Braking Device - Anyone use this?