Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting harder to trust my service dept.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012 | 11:08 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
..could the "oil pan drain plug" debate replace the "what's the best oil" debate,...that is the question...

....thanks..I needed a good smile this morning.
Oh yeah.

Old 11-26-2012 | 11:42 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Clean off the threads and torque it to the spec of 14 ft lbs and forget about it. I change oil very frequently, and although not a good idea, I have yet to replace the rubber o-ring. And I don't use any thread dope or tape. Not needed. I think my o-ring is on it's 6th oil change and holding fine. Of course I inspect it, but if it looks good, it's going to get some more use. Rocket science this is not.

Old 11-26-2012 | 11:48 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Clean off the threads and torque it to the spec of 14 ft lbs and forget about it. I change oil very frequently, and although not a good idea, I have yet to replace the rubber o-ring. And I don't use any thread dope or tape. Not needed. I think my o-ring is on it's 6th oil change and holding fine. Of course I inspect it, but if it looks good, it's going to get some more use. Rocket science this is not.
don't bring common sense in here, it's not welcome.

Old 11-26-2012 | 01:41 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wanna Ride
Those threads are def screwed up. They look like they were over-torqued. I'd be a little concerned about the female threads on the pan too. And that's def not build-up on the threads , it's some sort of Teflon tape, which shouldn't be used. I'll admit, I do use paste Teflon in addition to the new o-ring, every time I change my oil.

I am a machinist and I do threads all day.
Looks like a normal H/D drain plug to me how can you tell from a pic that they were over torqued? Maybe by tossing a pitch gauge on them you would have a better idea. I really don't think they look all bad but I will admit I am looking at a pic not the real deal. Thread sealant doesn't hurt a thing either.

Old 11-26-2012 | 02:34 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Old 11-26-2012 | 10:28 PM
1HDBEAR
Stage II

First thing look at service bill see if they charged you for new O-ring, if so you can't trust them because as ohioflhs says straight threads do not need to be sealed they use teflon, as a precaution because they did not change O-ring as book states but also you can get away with out changeing O-ring every time if you do changes yourself just inspect closely

Old 11-26-2012 | 11:23 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

a few posts back it was sugested that the op get a dimple super magnet oil plug i think they ment these http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/harleydavidson.php

Old 11-27-2012 | 06:56 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thrill_of_it_all_
The drain plugs are a crap design which is most likely why the factory and service manual use it?
what's wrong with the design of the drain plug? how fancy do you wanna go with a bolt to plug a hole?

Old 11-27-2012 | 07:23 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain

I see it's going to be a long winter on the forums. By the way.... that doesn't look like they used teflon tape it looks like they used scotch tape.

Old 11-27-2012 | 07:39 AM
mbutton65x
Cruiser

Some people just need a reason to bitch

Quick Reply: Getting harder to trust my service dept.