Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air shocks - this is probably a stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 AM
justjoshin84
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air shocks - this is probably a stupid question

This is my first Touring bike and I have a question about the shocks. Are air shocks like regular shocks as in are there better quality than stock? Are there different air shocks that I would notice a difference from the stock ones on my 02 RK? Not that I notice any problems now, Im just curious.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Yes and yes

Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Not a stupid question...But you will probable get alot of stupid answers.Like this one :-)

Old 11-25-2012, 12:20 PM
justjoshin84
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dawg
Yes and yes
lol can u elaborate please?

Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

After market shocks are more elaborate than stock shocks

Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without giving the OP a hard time, suggest you do a search on this subject within the forum, and much like everything else on our HDs, there are many products both factory, factory upgrade, the Screamin Eagle brand name for example and in most but not all cases, there can be a myriad of aftermarket suppliers with products of varying prices and quality. As you will soon discover part of the problem is that you get as many opinions as products in cases like this because of subjective interpretation, so be careful what you ask for in the Question dept, but keeping that in mind, you can usually get some honest feedback in this forum ,but try and word your questions specifically an reduce the "interpretative" part. Asking what someone likes is an open question and gets lots of wide open opinions. Hope this helps get you started on your Air Shock research, with both brand, size, type, and ride quality.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM
joe buck
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also looking as my 2012 EG ultra air shocks suck they bottom out when I ride 2 up even aired up to 50psi and they seem to lose psi over a week but I can't find a leak this suck to have to replace on a brand new bike like the olins but the price

Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM
racngrn
Cruiser

Don't want to hijack this thread, but this may be helpful to the original post. Has anyone tried the Harley upgraded shocks that dial to adjust.? I think these were on CVO and other customs. Nice price ( relative to Olins, etc..) but money isn't always a good source for such things.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by racngrn
Don't want to hijack this thread, but this may be helpful to the original post. Has anyone tried the Harley upgraded shocks that dial to adjust.? I think these were on CVO and other customs. Nice price ( relative to Olins, etc..) but money isn't always a good source for such things.
I have them on my Street Glide. I went with the standard height 13".
Very happy with them, and night and day difference in ride quality.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:05 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If you use the Search and enter 'shocks' you will be here for ever reading old threads. However I recommend you read some of them to get a better measure of your subject. There are far too many shocks available to start commenting on them, but there are a couple of HDF sponsors who can supply them, to help you short-list potential suppliers. So after a little more research, take a look at the shocks sponsors.

Quick Reply: air shocks - this is probably a stupid question