Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went down on new 07 street glide and why ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007 | 10:17 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Default RE: went down on new 07 street glide and why ????

ORIGINAL: ffb

VOW, YOU GUYS ARE GOOD AND FAST to react to this post.

yes , i have to agree that i locked one brake. i think ?

i have found that in my other bikes i usually brake hard with the front brake and slowly apply rear .even in panic.

then ,when i git the Harley 6 mohts ago ,for reasons that i do not understand ,i found myself using the rear brake most of the time during the first 2 months or so,and i did about 4 or 5 fishtails during this period until i trained myself to apply front only and slowly rear,

but in this accident i have no recall whatsoever of what i did. zero recall.

therefore i will have to assume that you are correct and that i locked the rear brake thus causing the fall.
i wonder if the extra weight in the back ,the bags may have contributed.

i have a friend from a riding club in conn.where i ride also that tells me that i probably locked the front brake ,thus unweighing the rear end causing it to lift ,and then when i applied the rear brake with force i brought the inertia forces to bear on the rear and causing the rig th side slide .

well, for whatever reason, mostriders sometimes when we go on a short ride to the supermarket ,etc, only go in jeans and t-shirts......

please learn the lesson ,even on a 2 block ride you can go down.

i am not in the hospital today undergoing skin grafts,etc because of the armored clothing that i wear even I'm the hot and humid Florida weather ..i will not ride if i cannot go out fully dressed.

i am not preaching , only illustrating a point based on a 5 mile ride i took .
I've gone down twice on my 07 StreetGlide... Both Panic stops, the first, I was on the brakes and hadroom to stop seemed when I came down on the front brakes,
the rear lifted up... same as the second time, I had 4 car lengths, was going 25 looked up I had a minivan in front of me dead stopped... First response, foot brake, started sliding, grabbed
hand brake, didn't here the sliding and the rear started commin around, I tucked and slid into the edge of the bumper with the crash guard, bend it, but nothing else.. (I was thinking, well time to start looking for another fender...) but that's when it veered to the left.

Here's my theory: The StreetGlide is lower the most baggers, the suspension is short in the rear, therefore IMHO rill lift when hard braking the hand brake... We see this all the time with the sport bikes... When the rear tire leaves the ground, the bike starts to jackknife... when you react and let go, your "place in the sand" has changed... and you cannot react in time...

I had many panic stops on my 06 Ultra, to where both tires skidded, but in a strait line... because of continued contact with the pavement by the rear wheel.. hence longer travel in rear suspension...

I was going almost 60 on my 06 Ultra, and a truck pulled out less than 30 yards from me, the bike shut down like right now... It was close, but if I was on the streetglide i would have hit the truck...

Just MHO...

But the SG looks good with the new black power coated engine guard to match the lowers....

[IMG]local://upfiles/11910/F6E8A8F405B84A2892F844F0952FBD92.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2007 | 03:32 PM
iowacruiser
Tourer

If the bike was chasing you, rather than you sliding behind the bike, sounds like a classic "high-side" to me. If the rear was sliding and was not straight behind the front wheel when you lifted on the rear brake, the rear regains traction and over ya' go with the bike following. In our MSF class the instructors insisted (and we practiced) keeping the rear locked once it starts to slide from over braking. The theory being that it is a lot less painful to have the bike slide out from under you if you do go down rather than "high siding" and getting hurt twice. Once when you hit the ground and once when the bike catches up with you.

As others have said, thankfully, no one was hurt badly.

Old 02-04-2007 | 03:52 PM
toolbox
Road Master

Hate to say it but it does sound like you just used your REAR brake and while steering away from the wreck the rear of the bike slid in that direction. Needed to grab more FRONT BRAKE. Just a assumtion. Glad your OK!
TOOLBOX

Old 02-04-2007 | 04:03 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

you looked to the right to go straight you MUST look straight ahead. A bike goes where you look. But with a left side drive and a locked rear break you will exit to the right, Get her fixed and lets ride. Last fall I went down, my fault broke 1 collar bone and 10 ribs. It hurt for several days. But in 45 years that was my firston the street. I had many problems in the dirt mostly in landing. I hope I can go another 45 years before I repeat.

Old 02-04-2007 | 04:22 PM
Longtimegone
Road Captain

Okay, so this is post is about going down on your new 07 street glide and why you did it.

Let me guess ... well, you enjoy going down on the young girl and the reason is because you really, reallylove her.

Fine. Just be careful with your munchin'.It sounds like the whole occasion can be a little rough with her.
Seriously, glad you are OK.

Old 02-04-2007 | 04:32 PM
waltr
Cruiser

In 1980 I was driving my 1 day old Tour Glide home from sunday lunch with my mom and the same thing happened. Around 25 MPH someone backed out in front of me blocking my lane, can coming in other lane. I also had just sold my BMW and the Harley was new to me. The big mistake others on this forum are making is they assume you locked the rear and after riding other make motorcycles where using the front brake is normal and not the exception this was not the case. Using that big *** foot pedal was unusual for me so I locked up the front brake. IN fact when the front brakes locked I did what is called a classic high side, bike went down on right I went left. I was confused about what seemed to be an odd reaction for a long time until at a ralley I attended a seminar on braking and the dynamics of what happened were explained to me.
I can identify why you ask the question and understand the confusion. It seams the problem in locking up the front brake comes in the following senario: front brake is locked up while steering away from and object, the front brake is released to avoid sliding, upon releasing brake forces act on front end to unload the steering and act to tip bike over its center of gravity in a straight ahead direction. In other words if fron end locks do not release it until stopped.
Situation: car backs out
steer left and lock up front brake
release front brake
bike goes over on right seemingly at a unbeleiable speed and quickness
rides gets "flipped offf: to the left in the process
This is called high siding---sound familiar?

Old 02-04-2007 | 05:59 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior

Something else to mention here after reading some of these responses would be the traction the OE Dunlops offer. I personally have locked and slid the front tire on perfectly clean, dry pavement a number of times. I have never experienced this on a modern sportbike, hence all the stoppie videos. My next cruiser will have stickier tires for sure. Many of these accidents may not have occured if the tires simply offered more stick.

Old 02-04-2007 | 06:11 PM
ragingbull
Road Captain

Here's a good article explaining high side accidents. I had always thought they were only caused by locking up the rear on a curve and then releasing the brake causing centrifugal force exerted when the rear wheel begins to spin quickly to flip the bike upright and you over the high side.

The article confirms waltr's front end high side scenario also. Good reading.... http://www.msgroup.org/TIP001.html

Old 02-04-2007 | 09:44 PM
slacker
Cruiser

The Hurt Study identified two skills missing in the majority of all motorcycle accidents: braking and swerving. Unfortunately most people only "practice" these skills when there is a car locked up in front if them and they panic. Effective quick stops and swerves are based on repeated use of those skills in a controlled environment. Many people ride for years and never spend any time in a parking lot working on the skills that can keep them safe and alive.
This is not meant to be judgemental of your skills, but your accident demonstrates very clearly someone who does not know how to properly apply maximum braking on your motorcycle. Fortunately in this case you came out ok. Want to prevent this same accident from happening again? Spend some quality time practicing accident avoidance skills.

Something else you could have done is allow a greater following distance betwen you and the car in front of you. Looking ahead for potential problems, planning in your mind about what you would do if....

Old 02-04-2007 | 10:25 PM
rlanggard
Advanced

In my opinion, it is time Harley made ABS brakes an option for those who want them. It is a proven safety feature in my book.

Quick Reply: went down on new 07 street glide and why ????