Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went down on new 07 street glide and why ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007 | 11:08 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: went down on new 07 street glide and why ????

Yes Sir. 240 hours at the NC Justice Academy. Spent many nights working over 7 hours on one reconstruction just to get one answer that the instructer wanted. God that was fun.

ORIGINAL: dawg

Ahh, accident reconstruction.....thoughts of coefficient of friction and drag factors racing through my head

Old 02-02-2007 | 12:57 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master

Not to [sm=deadhorse.gif], I agree that too much rear brake was the problem. And I think what you wrote explains the reason.

ORIGINAL: ffb

then ,when i git the harley 6 mohts ago ,for reasons that i do not understand ,i found myself using the rear brake most of the time during the first 2 months or so,and i did about 4 or 5 fishtails during this period until i trained myself to apply front only and slowly rear, but in this accident i have no recall whatsoever of what i did. zero recall.
IMHO, the brain does what it's trained to do in a panic situation. Unfortunately, it reads like your braking was "controlled" by your first couple months of braking with the rear. It sounds like you're an experienced rider but you asked. You need to practice panic stops until they become second nature to you because second nature is what you'll use when there's no time to think. Like it was said earlier, both brakes have to be used together with the front doing most of the stopping. I practice with every new bike (after a couple of hundred miles to wear the pads in) and at least twice a year or so. You can practice in a parking lot. I practice when I'm on a straight stretch ofdeserted two lane. I start from about 50 mph. It also gives you an appreciation of how far it takes to get one of these behemoths stopped compared to a sport bike and that's not adding in reaction time since the stop is planned.

Old 02-02-2007 | 01:23 AM
ndotken
Road Captain

I recently almost slid into an intersection with the old lady on the back. It was a foggy, humid day and the roads were a little wet. I was only going about 30 MPH and the light changed on me at that inconvenient time when you're going to have to brake hard to stop in time, or give it some gas to get through the light. At decision point, I instinctively braked hard and the rear wheel locked up almost immediately. I released it, got the wheel rolling and it locked again when I applied the rear brake. Released it, applied brakes and same result ... locked up and at this point the bike started to get sideways. Luckily we stopped after only sliding about three feet into the intersection and the bike was still upright.

The entire sequence probably only took 3-4 seconds, but it seemed like everything was in slow motion. The bike only got sideways at the very end of the skid. But why? Did the bike initially skid straight because I kept releasing the rear brake and letting the rear wheel get traction? Did the bike eventually turn sideways because the front tire still had traction and was slowing rapidly while the rear tire was skidding and wanting to "outrun" the front tire? I don't know. Any opinions?

Old 02-02-2007 | 11:04 AM
ffb
|
Tourer

thank you all,
the consensus is that the rear brake did it and i tend to agree .
also , the thought put forth by STEELCITY-- that you steer where you look also adds another dimension to the fall.
in retrospect it seems like i applied the front brake but i overpowered the rear brake possibly locking it and as i looked at to the left,and this in combination with the lock up ,may have been what brought me down.

in addition ,the fact that for the past 40 years or so i have ridden only sports or sports touring bikes that have a different , more aggressive riding stance,or position, and the controls are right there ,unlike the harley where the foot brake requires the lifting of the foot and then pushing it down on the rear brake,and the sitting back ,relaxed position, may be one of the causes for the locking up of the brake.
so, in summary ,i screwed up because of old habits and maybe bad habits.

i will look up that EZ brake suggestion.
i will go to that MSF class .

maybe this will help avoid buying the farm when i do deal's gap for 3 days in june on my ride back to connecticut .

Old 02-02-2007 | 11:29 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

I wouldnt over look the possibility you paniced and grabbed a handfull of FRONT brake!!!
rear brake lock ups give you couple secs to react, front brake lock ups instant ground kissing.
try it,on bicycles,dirt bikes, road,anything .. you will see

Old 02-02-2007 | 12:47 PM
FLHTC06
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ffb

thank you all,
the consensus is that the rear brake did it and i tend to agree .
also , the thought put forth by STEELCITY-- that you steer where you look also adds another dimension to the fall.
in retrospect it seems like i applied the front brake but i overpowered the rear brake possibly locking it and as i looked at to the left,and this in combination with the lock up ,may have been what brought me down.

in addition ,the fact that for the past 40 years or so i have ridden only sports or sports touring bikes that have a different , more aggressive riding stance,or position, and the controls are right there ,unlike the harley where the foot brake requires the lifting of the foot and then pushing it down on the rear brake,and the sitting back ,relaxed position, may be one of the causes for the locking up of the brake.
so, in summary ,i screwed up because of old habits and maybe bad habits.

i will look up that EZ brake suggestion.
i will go to that MSF class .

maybe this will help avoid buying the farm when i do deal's gap for 3 days in june on my ride back to connecticut .
I don't agree with the rear wheel brake causing an FLH to dump on the right side in a left hand turn. You simply high sided by over compensating with the front brake while trying to naturally straighten the bike. The force of the front brake being applied while bringing the bike to an upright position, which is optimal for stopping quick, threw you off the right side. If you ask most MSF instructors they will tell you to NEVER use the front brake under 15 MPH and never look down while stopping for the reason. I ride an 06 FLHTC too so I am very familiar with the handling characteristics of the bagger. The only OTHER possible scenario that could have happened is a light sand/pebble dusting on the road. You could have hit that, rear locked for a second getting slightly sideways then grabbed. That would have slammed you with a high side crash. Bottom line is that you are OK and trying to figure out the scene. Good luck

Old 02-02-2007 | 12:51 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

yup

Old 02-02-2007 | 12:52 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

makes me realise theres alotta riders out there that need little more experience.
(from all these posts)

Old 02-02-2007 | 01:48 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

Glade to see your ok. Hard lesson learned.

Old 02-02-2007 | 01:51 PM
ffb
|
Tourer

electarick

experience is important ,and i have tons of miles and years under me.
i think that overall riding experience is not the issue here.

i ride the swiss ,austrian ,italian (dolomites ) alps ,pyrennes ,almost every year and there are few who can stay with me up there .

as i said ,if i had been on a sports bike i doubt that i would have gone down. their controls are readily at hand and are much finer and responsive than those on the harley. ( not all sports bikes but the ones i own and ride ).

the problem ,i think, is my lack of experience with this specific bike , a harley. and the placement and reaction of the rear brake vis a vis the sports bikes .

so yes ,i lack experience with this brand ,but i plan to correct that ,and i had already modified the shifter so that it is less than 1/2 and inch under my toe. now i will go to work on the rear brake .

thank you

ffb

Quick Reply: went down on new 07 street glide and why ????