Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch Control wires relocated to internal ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:50 PM
my74ls4
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch Control wires relocated to internal ????

I have a 2012 ultra limited that I am adding chrome handles,sw housing, etc.etc.etc... In the process I thought it would look much better if I can re-route the control wiring inside the stock handle bars. It looks llike I can remove the pins from the switch control connector under the fairing and then drill a hole in the bar and pull the cable through. Is this doable or do I need larger diameter bars. While I have the fairing off and I'm in the process of chroming all the controls it would be nice to hide the controls wires. Can anyone help with direction if it is possible?

Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 PM
eagle bud
Advanced
Default handel bar wireing

you could do that or buy cvo bars with holes in um an chromed take plugs apart then you need a smcll vinescrew driver to get wires out of connector take PICSO YOU CAN PUT WIRES IN THE RIGHT PLACE when going back tgether. run a wire or string thru bars long enough to pull wires back thru if you drill youre own bars be care full of cutting wires wthey will short if not now on the road somewhere use some electrical lube can get at home depot mostl time consuming but its doable good luck bud

Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 PM
my74ls4
6th Gear

How big of a hole is needed? I would use a bushing for sure.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think 3/8 inch hole might do it but be sure you don't weaken the bars too much and make the hole an appropriate size to get the wire though. Be sure to deburr the hole and/or use a grommet of some kind.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:27 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I drilled 3/8 up at the switch housings, then ovaled the 3/8 down in the middle of the riser clamps for the exit, no problems.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 PM
my74ls4
6th Gear

Fab, I presume you took the bar out for the drilling/ovaling by the riser? Would it be easier to just get the CVO stock bars as previously mentioned? I also have the internal heated grips which I would have to remove before any drilling. This all started by wanting to chrome everything on the bars. I got the slipstream scheme heated hand grips and discovered they were externally wired, went to Harley and I had to buy the CVO grips. Internal wired grips are not offered unless its a CVO. Go figure. Got the new grips coming but I wanted to get rid of the switch control wires as well. It almost sounds quicker and easier to get the CVO bars already drilled.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Heres my exit hole:

Old 11-23-2012, 09:49 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by my74ls4
Fab, I presume you took the bar out for the drilling/ovaling by the riser? Would it be easier to just get the CVO stock bars as previously mentioned? I also have the internal heated grips which I would have to remove before any drilling. This all started by wanting to chrome everything on the bars. I got the slipstream scheme heated hand grips and discovered they were externally wired, went to Harley and I had to buy the CVO grips. Internal wired grips are not offered unless its a CVO. Go figure. Got the new grips coming but I wanted to get rid of the switch control wires as well. It almost sounds quicker and easier to get the CVO bars already drilled.
Easier yes, cheaper no, quicker depends on your drilling skills. You are spending money on the exact same bars but with holes in them, If I was spending money on bars they would be different bars, not the same ones. Yes, I took them out to do the drilling and deburring. Either way, internal wiring is a nice clean look.