Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander III problem with throttle position

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM
bmkbailey
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Commander III problem with throttle position

I recently installed V&H Big-Shot Dual & V&H Nake A/C along with a Power Commander III USB system on my 08 Road King Classic. I've tried to set the Throttle position but when I plug the PC into my laptop using the PC software it shows the Throttle Position to be at 100% on the indicator even with the throttle closed...and the indicator does not move when I roll it. It will not change when I reset Throttle position. However the RPM, fuel...etc are live/real-time. The bike is running though not as good as it should...sometimes popping on deceleration.
Has anyone had this problem with throttle showing constant 100%?
Note: I'm using MAP 818-030

I concern because I bought the PC used off of Ebay...
Thought I got a good deal ($130.00) but you know what they say.
But hey...the pipes & A/C are new.

Any help is appreciated.
bmkbailey
08 Road King Classic
V & H Black Big-shot Duals
V & H Naked V02 Air Intake
Power Commander III USB

Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Is the run stop switch on when you are trying to set the throttle position? It has to be in the on position.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Ohio UC
Intermediate
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Ohio UC
Intermediate

Sorry, I should have also said that I had a PC III on my 08 UC and had no issues being able to set the throttle position.
Another option is to re-set the PC to factory settings, re-load your map and see if you can successfully set the TP.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM
bmkbailey
6th Gear

Yes...I've tried with the bike running as well as with the just the run swith on with same results.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2012, 01:21 PM
bmkbailey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ohio UC
Sorry, I should have also said that I had a PC III on my 08 UC and had no issues being able to set the throttle position.
Another option is to re-set the PC to factory settings, re-load your map and see if you can successfully set the TP.
Yes...I've tried this as well. I reset button values and loaded the zero-map...the the M818-030 map. Same result 100% throttle shown.

Thanks.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM
bmkbailey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Is the run stop switch on when you are trying to set the throttle position? It has to be in the on position.
Yes...I've tried with the bike running as well as with the just the run swith on with same results.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,020 Likes on 4,992 Posts

did you do a throttle reset, by turning on the ignition for 30 sec on, 30 sec off 4 times?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM
bmkbailey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
did you do a throttle reset, by turning on the ignition for 30 sec on, 30 sec off 4 times?
No I did not try that...but someone here at our shop said something about reseting the throttle that way. I'll give it a try once I get home...I'll let you know if that did it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

On 08 Touring models with PC III USB you cannot set the open throttle setting unless the bike is running and under a load (i.e on a dyno) due to the drive by wire system. Also make sure that when you set the closed setting that the bike us up to operating temp as the TB steps the throttle blade open slightly during warmup.

Because you have reset the the throttle position settings you will need fix this, but not to worry it is easy. In the PC III software go to Power Commander Tools>Set Throttle Position and you will first enter the value manually to the "Open" box which is 28024, you can then enter the Closed value to 5536. You can then get the bike to full operating temp, connect the software and make sure it reads 0% at idle. If necessary you can go to Throttle position and match the Closed value with the "Current" value and it will sync the closed throttle position to 0% at idle. Hope this info helps

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Quick Reply: Power Commander III problem with throttle position