Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 07 Problems continue

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:43 AM
gordo24fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My 07 Problems continue

I only have 100 happy miles on my '07. I can only hope I don't run into the problems some of you guys are having. My biggest issue right now is that the damn exhaust is to freakin quiet.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:57 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

There are a number of threads on this already, along with many words written about the 5th-gear whine. Most (all?) of the touring bikes will rattle when hot if RPM's go below about 2200 in 5th or 6th gear, which originates in the compensator, not the transmission. With mine, I have simply readjusted my riding style and keep R's at or above that point in the higher gears. I also installed a more viscous oil in the primary (Castrol GTX 20w50) than the overpriced Formula+ HD recommends, the 0903 EFI remap, and a PCIII--all of which combined have transformed the bike. It will still rattle if I lug it down below about 2200, but as I said I simply shift a bit higher than I did with my Evo, which would chug around all day at 1800 rpm or lower in 5th gear without any protest.

I'd recommend to the OP to have the 0903 remap done, which has helped many people with this problem, but you'd think your dealer would've gone there already. I would keep on them, as it sounds like your noise is far worse than what I and most others have experienced. In balance, I much prefer this '07 engine over the TC88. It's smoother, mechanically quieter, and torquier than the basically stock (mufflers, AC, EFI mods) TC88's I've ridden. The 6-speed is fine and other than the 5th-gear whine, which is normal and hardly noticeable on my bike, I haven't heard any complaints from anyone about any real problems. I did switch to Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil in the tranny, which did seem to help.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

does your state have a lemon law...i'd cram it down their throats...the 07's i've ridden were awesome in all respects

Old 02-01-2007, 11:49 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned

Well, if my dealer told me to get earplugs for a problem on my bike...well...he would need earplugs for my yelling as well as a cell phone to call himself an ambulance. LOL (Just kidding, I wouldn't really get violent...unless...LMAO)

Old 02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Edelmon
Cruiser

5th gear whine - normal, keep up the rpms's - your luggin the engine, put in heavy transmission lube - this is all a bunch of BS!
I have an 07 Ultra, I got it in the middle of August. I just had it in for 5000 mile service. Guess what? It rattles. It rattles in 5th gear at 65 mph on a flat road with the cruise control on. NOT LUGGING the engine, rpms are up, not accelerating. IT RATTLES. I would love the Whine I hear in 1st gear to be there in 5th, but it's not. I"m sure the whole straight cut vs helical cut means something. It rattles when it's cold. It rattles when it's hot. When it's really hot the neutral light comes on and the 6th gear indicator goes out. And my favorite - the alarm light comes on and stays on until the bike cools off somewhat.
I am happy for you if running the RPM's up stops yours. I'm happy for you if heavy transmission fluid quiet's it down. Hell, I'm happy for you if you don't have any problems. However, I have an issue and a lot of other folks have issues. The MOCO knows there is an issue and they are working on it.
Oh, I forgot the best reason for 5th gear noise so far "It's a Harley, it rattles". Whatever. I love the bike. I ride it every chance I get. What would make it better? No rattle. So if your bike is perfect, good for you. That's all I want. That's what I paid $26k plus for. American made perfection. And it's not very far from where I'm sitting.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

25K for a road king? Have they done the 903 download, this could help, change out the trans fluid for some amsoil 75/90 and put amsoil 20-50 sybn in the motor and primary and you will be more happy with your high dollar ride. Or join with the other handfull of disatisfied guys and take harley to court or at least get the HD rep. involved.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gordo24fan

I only have 100 happy miles on my '07. I can only hope I don't run into the problems some of you guys are having. My biggest issue right now is that the damn exhaust is to freakin quiet.
Not to thread steal or anything but may I suggest the V&H Big Shot true duals. I have a set and they are anything but quiet and sound really nice. I am also told after some miles on them andthe baffle packing gets broke in they will sound even better.

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

25K for a Road King?
Mine was about that with all the accessories that I had installed with the deal. Plus it was $600 or $700 more than base cost to begin with being a custom color.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:46 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phins,

If you don't get satisfaction from your dealer, hound the crap out of customer service in Milwaukee. This route has helped myself and many others in the past. Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:19 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

There are a number of threads on this already, along with many words written about the 5th-gear whine. Most (all?) of the touring bikes will rattle when hot if RPM's go below about 2200 in 5th or 6th gear, which originates in the compensator, not the transmission. With mine, I have simply readjusted my riding style and keep R's at or above that point in the higher gears. I also installed a more viscous oil in the primary (Castrol GTX 20w50) than the overpriced Formula+ HD recommends, the 0903 EFI remap, and a PCIII--all of which combined have transformed the bike. It will still rattle if I lug it down below about 2200, but as I said I simply shift a bit higher than I did with my Evo, which would chug around all day at 1800 rpm or lower in 5th gear without any protest. . The 6-speed is fine and other than the 5th-gear whine, which is normal and hardly noticeable on my bike, I haven't heard any complaints from anyone about any real problems. I did switch to Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil in the tranny, which did seem to help.
Why should you have to adjust your riding style to compensate for a malfunction in your bike? You don't think that's a REAL problem? You don't think that the fact that your much smaller Evo ran better below 2000 rpm than your 96" TC doesn't indicate a REAL problem? And the Castrol 20w 50 you mention is the same viscosity as Harley's 20w50 oils, whether synthetic or not.
One thing that Harley did that was foolish was to NOT have the 6th gear be an overdrive gear. Evidently it's not really useable til you're at a steady 70mph or higher, and at those speeds the whine should be drowned out by the wind noise- not that there should be much of a whine in the first place.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:10 PM
CroftonDamico
Cruiser

Knocking on wood, my 07 UC (granted only 450 miles) currently doesn't have any of the problems that have been posted my many on this forum. I would suggest you write to American Iron Magazine with your problem and or reference them to the many threads of problems on the 07. Belive me if they follow up and publish a road test on the 07, Harley if not currently will get things really moving.

Quick Reply: My 07 Problems continue