Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 AM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tour Pack Conversion Question

I am wanting to convert the tour pack on Road Glide Ultra to quick connect. I have saw, on here, where others have done this and say that can take their pack off and put it on in a few minutes. I haven't checked under the seat yet for wiring harness connecters. My question is.. Are there disconnects under the seat for antennas, speakers and tour pack lights or do I have to do all those connect/disconnects inside the tour pack each time I take it off or put it on?

I appreciate any feedback from you folks who do this.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 AM
jay87LX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the quick connect brackets and harness from HD but many just buy the brackets and cut into the wiring harness and use Deutch connectors for when you want to plug and unplug them. That is the way I did my set up- there is a pretty detailed thread on here including the exact PN's for the plugs and pins.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM
RG2013
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had Stealership convert my 2013 RG ultra and it is a easy 5 min process. they put quick connect plugs for the lights and speakers. and a atenia relocation kit for the radio and CB. Your bike is same color as mine.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Intensefab
Cruiser

Or you can just pull them out and curl up under the seat. Only takes a couple of minutes to reroute them back into place. I'll probably install some quick connects on mine this winter but for now just curled up.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I know you have your mind made up, but I have the quick detach kit on my bike, and I wish I would have spent the money on something else, I have had the tour pak off a total of 4 times in 3 years, and now the brackets are stretching ,and even with aluminum bushings it shakes ,and rattles I have less than 20k on the aluminum bushings.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

I LOVE having the quick disconnect on mine. I went the Deutsch connectors route. I took some extra time and soldered all mine and also, I cut my antenna and CB wires and should not have. I've not been able to find any way to reconnect them. Luckily I never use the CB or radio. Here is the link to the GREAT writeup:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...etachable.html

After I did this I was so happy with it, I sold my wide glide to help buy a truck. I feel like I have two bikes in one now and if my wife wants to go along or if I'm traveling it takes 5 minutes or so to switch back.

I researched it for quite a while before I did it. I bought the Harley-Davidson Detach Tour-Pak Rack 53246-09A and the billet bushings to replace the plastic ones so it doesn't start to rattle. Here is the link for the bushings:

http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dll...geid=310456&ck

I also bought a lock kit for the tour pack to discourage someone from stealing the tour pack and a nice Mustang solo seat for one-up. The whole thing ended up costing me just over a grand and a couple afternoons of my time.

This was very much worth the money to me.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill03E
I know you have your mind made up, but I have the quick detach kit on my bike, and I wish I would have spent the money on something else, I have had the tour pak off a total of 4 times in 3 years, and now the brackets are stretching ,and even with aluminum bushings it shakes ,and rattles I have less than 20k on the aluminum bushings.
I had the same setup on my Road King and took the pack off only used the tour pack for long trips.

Get rid of your aluminum bushings and replace them with UHMW bushings. No more rattling and No more squeaking ever.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfFast
I had the same setup on my Road King and took the pack off only used the tour pack for long trips.

Get rid of your aluminum bushings and replace them with UHMW bushings. No more rattling and No more squeaking ever.
Tell me where to the the UHMW bushings, and I will gladly do so.