Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A or B Motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012 | 08:00 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Get an evo or shovel and forget about balancers and rubber mounts. Man up and get a real Harley.

Old 11-13-2012 | 08:38 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Do not get the TC and the TCb (note little b) confused as to what the TC stands for. Both are similar with twin cam shafts for the valves. The difference lies in the TCb is only only the Softail solid mounted engine and has a chain set up with twin balance rotors to balance the engine at idle. The second attachment is the balance rotors, the housing they run in and the drivechain and tensioners that run in the base of the engine. The Softail TCb engines are for those who want to limit the vibes to the bedroom....

Good point, I forgot to mention solid vs. rubber mounted engines.

Old 11-13-2012 | 09:08 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Get an evo or shovel and forget about balancers and rubber mounts. Man up and get a real Harley.
Does a EVO and Shovel have the engine mounted into the frame with the rear wheel swing arm mounted to the end of the transmission like a Dyna?

Old 11-13-2012 | 10:12 PM
Microbomb
Cruiser

I miss my B motor on my softail. As the B motor gets into the higher RPMs (3k) the balancer has a harder time keeping up and it starts to shake more but still it's nothing like the A motor. My teeth chatter at idle on the A.. which I don't really mind. Where I really notice it is when I pull in the clutch and brake. It feels like the ABS is kicking in but it's really just the motor shaking about. As cruising speed they feel about the same to me. It does feel like the A has a bit more power...which makes sense since it not using any power to keep things in balanced harmony.

Old 11-14-2012 | 12:41 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

ripsaw, my 92 fxr has the swingarm pivot shooting through a hole in the transmission. the "R" in fxR, stands for "rubber mount". just like staples, that was easy.

Old 11-14-2012 | 06:22 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hogpro
B motors do not shake like an a motor will. They are smooth as silk.

I never really appreciated the difference until I swapped my 10 year old soft tail on a touring bike.

Old 11-14-2012 | 06:47 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Owned both and prefer the B. It doesn't shake at idle but once underway transmits its power pulses and feels more alive. The A is too smooth anywhere but idle, doesn't feel like a twin.

Old 11-14-2012 | 07:55 AM
Gearhead3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Owned both and prefer the B. It doesn't shake at idle but once underway transmits its power pulses and feels more alive. The A is too smooth anywhere but idle, doesn't feel like a twin.
Yes, but that helps put the tour in touring. I'm not fond of having numb hands after a 5 or 600 mile day.

Old 11-14-2012 | 08:17 AM
petewerner
Road Captain

Like most, I have owned both, apples and oranges to compare really. The bikes have more differences than a balancing shaft, and they ride differently. Personally i am happy with the a version, mostly due to the whole bike that I bought and not the motor...
Question; There was an a and b motors in the Evo as well?

Old 11-14-2012 | 09:40 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by petewerner
Like most, I have owned both, apples and oranges to compare really. The bikes have more differences than a balancing shaft, and they ride differently. Personally i am happy with the a version, mostly due to the whole bike that I bought and not the motor...
Question; There was an a and b motors in the Evo as well?
I think the answer to that is no. The Evo Softail bikes with the solid mounts shook a whole lot at idle and through the RPM range. Kinda like a Sporster prior to them getting rubber mounts around 04. I had 1999 Sporster and it was a lot of fun to ride, but I certainly would not want to tour on it.

Quick Reply: A or B Motor