Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former Gold Wing owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Former Gold Wing owners

Thinking about getting a Gold Wing for the garage, wondering what issues you had and how it compares to the HD touring line?

I love my Harley, headaches and recalls included as they happen to every manufacturer so not looking to bash one or the other brand just a objective experience from owners (former) of both. The good and bad experiences.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had an '84 and a '93 and put lots of miles on them with no issues at all. Ride is smooth, quiet. The 6 cylinder was not comfortable for my long legs. Never had any mechanical problems just a pain in the butt to take all the plastic off to get to anything...

Comparing it to the HD touring line, HD line is more suited to making the ride fit your needs easier than the Wing. That being said the Wing certainly comes with more gadgets than Inspector Gadget.
It will be interesting to see how long before the Wing bashing starts.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of GW's...has anyone checked out the new F6B?

I'll likely have one of those in my garage one of these days. Not as a replacement for my HD's, just as something "different". That F6B is the nicest looking touring bike Honda has ever come out with.

Yeh, yeh, yeh...I know this is a HARLEY forum. Get yer undies un-bunched people. I like all kinds of bikes.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2meetu
I've had an '84 and a '93 and put lots of miles on them with no issues at all. Ride is smooth, quiet. The 6 cylinder was not comfortable for my long legs. Never had any mechanical problems just a pain in the butt to take all the plastic off to get to anything...

Comparing it to the HD touring line, HD line is more suited to making the ride fit your needs easier than the Wing. That being said the Wing certainly comes with more gadgets than Inspector Gadget.
It will be interesting to see how long before the Wing bashing starts.

(LOL) true dat ) beings they have a modern touring motorcycle out now. are so they say. http://powersports.honda.com/Cruiser...b/options.aspx

Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 AM
mikkeeh
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an 02 for a while. Had the dreaded 40 mph front wheel wobble. Could never get it resolved. 1800 engine is smoothe and super quick. Almost too resonsive for my older reflexes. lol Smooth and comfy, but as stated before...a pain to remove plastices to get to anything.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can say is ride the 'wing first. I just bought my first bagger in September, and selected the Ultra over the Goldwing. I came to my bagger from a Honda VTX 1800, so the "Harley Lifestyle" didn't factor in at all. If I'd have actually liked the 'wing better then the Ultra, I would have had no problems owning one. For me, I just didn't like the foot position. Could not get comfortable on it. Both have their pros and cons, but for long distance the foot position on the Ultra was superior.

Wing has:
1832CC 6 cylinder. This bike will go like a raped ape. Maybe a Vrod could keep up, but I doubt any other stock HD could.
Water cooled
Better suspension, air shocks are adjustable while riding. Front forks have an anti-dive feature.
Ultra has:
No tupperware (plastic panels)
More comfortable riders position

IMO, the engineering is about equal. Rider amenities are about equal. Pricing is pretty close. The Goldwing is a good bike, but again for me comfort made my decision.

Ride Safe

Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
I'm not a fan of the F6B's styling, but I applaud Honda for doing something different with the Gold Wing. I always thought they made a mistake when they dropped the Gold Wing Interstate from the line up.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM
J-Dubya
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2010 GW before getting my 2013 EG Classic. As others said, it is a smooth, quiet, powerful machine. To me it was more refined than H-D, but less refined than the beemers. I never had any trouble with it, I just never could get comfortable on it. Your options for changes are limited compared to H-D. The throttle response on the GW is instant compared to H-D; a good thing if you are ready for it, not so good if you just hit a big bump in road. My wife says the ride was "cushier" on the GW, although the riding position is not as comfy as the H-D. One thing I could never got use to, it's as big as a whale.

They're a fine machine, good luck deciding.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Bullwinkle J Moose
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden over 300k miles on my two GWs and still have my 03. The stock fork suspension design on the GW sucks as it doesn't damp well and sends shocks from bumps right up the fork into the handbars and up your shoulders into your neck. Only one side of the fork has a working shock in it, so the best thing one can do with a new GW is to get a Traxxion suspension upgrade (available for Harley's too). After I upgraded my GW suspension, the handling and comfort improved dramatically.
I prefer to ride my Ultra, because it fits me better and I can ride farther without my butt aching. But the GW is faster, quicker, handles better, holds more luggage, get's around 41MPG all the time regardless of how I ride it and is more reliable. I have had to repair more things during the 40k miles I've put on my Ultra than I ever had to fix on both GWs combined. If I want to ride a long distance I usually choose the GW, because of the Ultra's lower reliability. I love the Ultra, but it is a real PITA to keep running.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion

I'll likely have one of those in my garage one of these days. Not as a replacement for my HD's, just as something "different" .
when i worked at a Honda dealership i said they should make a bike like this.. everyone there said i was crazy. Honda would never make one because no one wanted it.. guess i wasn't that far off.

i road a 76 GL1000 for a while.. great ride, it had a bad starter. i had to kickstart it or push every time i rode it.. only complaint about any wing is the foot position is horrible.

Quick Reply: Former Gold Wing owners