Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former Gold Wing owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
ratdoc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only rode one once, but it felt like riding a sewing machine. It was so smooth and quiet I had to use the tach to know when to shift. Wasn't for me. Of course, I was riding an '80 Superglide at the time, so I may have still been a bit numb when I got on the GW.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
I like the stance on it. Looks very low and mean for a GW. Then again I also love sport bikes. Zuki Busa and Kawi ZX14 being my favs. I may be the odd duck around these forums.
You're not the only odd one. I just sold my Kaw ZZR1200 and I'm looking for a used ZX14. I also have the need for speed.

Looks like Honda is going after the Street Glide demographic.
Or... the Kaw Vaquero.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 AM
menmia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the stance on it. Looks very low and mean for a GW. Then again I also love sport bikes. Zuki Busa and Kawi ZX14 being my favs. I may be the odd duck around these forums.

Not a completely odd duck. I grew up dragging my knees on sport bikes. But for me, it was age that moved me to the upright riding position. It takes every bit of my wife emptying my wallet to keep from moding for horsepower. Heck, I love the sound of my floorboards scraping, but it scares the hell out of the wife.

I used to say that as long as it has 2 wheels it is all good, but I'm even eyeballing the Can-Am's now.

I took another look at the F6B after your Street Glide comment. I had not looked at it like that, but it does look like Honda is shooting for them. I can see the equal argument between an Ultra and a GW, but couldn't see an SG rider making the switch.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
Or... the Kaw Vaquero.
True.

I saw that model at the Dallas Motorcycle Show the first year they came out. I was in between bikes at the time and almost bought one. It's no coincidence that the next bike I *did* buy was the FLTRX. I was intrigued by frame mounted fairings at the time.

The Vaquero is still one of the best looking non Harley bikes out there, imho. I'd take it over a Yamaha or Zuki, but I've always had a soft spot for Kawi's having owned two Vulcans since '98.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I road them for 30 years - zero problems - finest touring motorcycle ever built - If I stilled toured I would buy one today. Going on a 5,000 mile ride - no problem - just add gas & ride trouble free - My last Goldwing - tom

Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

True.

I saw that model at the Dallas Motorcycle Show the first year they came out. I was in between bikes at the time and almost bought one. It's no coincidence that the next bike I *did* buy was the FLTRX. I was intrigued by frame mounted fairings at the time.

The Vaquero is still one of the best looking non Harley bikes out there, imho. I'd take it over a Yamaha or Zuki, but I've always had a soft spot for Kawi's having owned two Vulcans since '98.
Same here. I had 2 Vulcan 1500 Classics and a Nomad. The Nomad being my fav. The Vaquero was a close second when I bought my Ultra. I still may own one someday. I love the look.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Pastor Ed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 3 Wings, '84, '85, and '93. All were great bikes. Then I bought a '01 BMW LT, IMHO, the best touring bike ever made. I love my FLHTCU, I've customized it the way I want. It's fast, it's comfortable, and it's uniquely mine. My Wings and the BMW were just like everyone else's. 500 mile days are my longest rides so far so I don't know what I'll think of its touring characteristics until I've got some vacation time on it. So far I'm pleased.

It looks like Honda finally built a replacement for the Valkyrie.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I rode a 2002 Goldwing for 7 yrs. Great bike, probably the quickest bike I ever owned but the riding position for me 6ft 2in was cramped and the only way I could get comfy was addingg hiway pegs that made your legs very close to the hot engine. I hated how much the tupperware would rattle all the time. Never saw the air cleaner on it way to hard to service that item. Traded it in for my 2009 Street Glide and never looked back.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Thinking about getting a Gold Wing for the garage, wondering what issues you had and how it compares to the HD touring line?

I love my Harley, headaches and recalls included as they happen to every manufacturer so not looking to bash one or the other brand just a objective experience from owners (former) of both. The good and bad experiences.
Hey blaster. I can tell you that you won't make a mistake by adding the Honda to your stable. I loved mine since day one but wanted a smaller cruiser to boot around town and do small weekend trips on so I also added a Road King. I can't add much to what has already been said here and I agree with most, (not all). The Honda is harder to work on, just changing the air filter is a pain, and the big issue for me with a long inseam is it's just about impossible to achieve the perfect riding position. It does provide smooth quiet power, bad weather protection, great fuel economy and throttle response and passenger comfort. My wife is also over 6' and has went on the RK once and never again she said, we both look kind of comical on it actually haha. I do like the whole body position on the RK, I've made it so that she's very comfy for the long haul except when the rains start. One person mentioned about the front suspension lacking on the Honda. I've never found that and can say without doubt, that it is light years smoother than my RK. I can't say I get a 40mph wobble on the Honda. The RK is unbelievably smooth too at all speeds and loves the 6th gear that Honda has to step up offer in the future. PM me if you have any specific questions that I might be able to help you with. Dene

Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 PM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hope they have an aftermarket tour pak option for two-up. I don't want to buy a GL1800 and strip it down, but it would be nice to have this with a detachable tour pak for when the wife wants to ride or when I need to haul more stuff than usual.

i do believe if the Valkyrie had of made it this long, this is what it would have been.

Quick Reply: Former Gold Wing owners